Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 06-25-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Sacroiliac problems

(Forgive me if this has been covered, but I was not able to find anything in the search.)

I have been having lower back problems for a few years, but nothing major. The occasional spasms from shoveling snow or whatever, but the chiropractor generally fixes it within a week or 2.

This year I have had more issues than ever, all stemming from my sacroiliac. I was throwing batting practice for our little league team at least 3x a week and that may have been the proverbial straw, but who knows?

Anyway, I am 40 and really did not plan on being this 'old' just yet. The range of mobility in my lower back is next to nothing. Putting on my socks in the morning often requires me to lay on my back on the bed and (barely) pull my feet up, and even getting in and out of the car is a pain in the ass (well, higher than that but you get the point).

I have been stretching regularly and between that and the chiro it is getting better, but it's really taking a long time. I have read (on here - http://www.spine-health.com/topics/cd/sjd/sjd01.html ) that a cortisone injection can take care of this, but I don't know anyone that has had this done and am leery of potential side effects.

So I guess my questions would be:
Has anyone had this problem?
Has anyone had cortisone treatment for it?
If not, what did you do to alleviate it?
Why does getting old have to suck so bad?

On the bright side, I did learn how to throw a gyroball this year, and my curve is about filthier than any non-pitching 40 year old's curve should be. It's all but unhittable (by the 11-12 year olds on the team)
Old 06-25-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Sacroiliac problems

Two Words: Kettlebell Swings

Search the Dragon Door Forum. There are tons of people there that have fixed bad backs and hip problems, including sacroiliitis, with kettlebell swings. There are some articles in the Kettlebell Articles section on it too I think. Obviously take it easy and check with a doctor (one who knows something about exercise therapy for backs) first.