Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 06-06-2007, 12:59 AM

Default hand from late in the stars 100k

villain only just got moved to my table so no reads,but he has 300k in cashes on thepokerdb.com so i presume he's decent.

blinds 750/1500,i have 75k,he has 60k.

folded to him in mid-late position,he makes it 4k.he's been raising quite a lot since he sat down.

folded to me in SB,i make it 10500 with AKs,he calls.

flop AQ5 with a flush draw,i bet out 12500,he minraises,action on me...
Old 06-06-2007, 01:11 AM

Default Re: hand from late in the stars 100k

i really should have checked the flop shouldn't i?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:36 AM

You reraise preflop is too small, 13k seems good. Raising to only 10k sucks cause you are OOP and villian is getting great odds to call with many diffrent hands, which will make your decisions tougher after the flop.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you check this flop?? Giving a free card on this board sucks. Lead the flop for 17-18k. As played, shove. No way im folding AK here without a HUGE read and 30% of my stack invested.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:49 AM

raise more pf. call the flop min raise although his hand looks like AQ everytime to me.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
villain only just got moved to my table so no reads,but he has 300k in cashes on thepokerdb.com so i presume he's decent.

blinds 750/1500,i have 75k,he has 60k.

folded to him in mid-late position,he makes it 4k.he's been raising quite a lot since he sat down.

folded to me in SB,i make it 10500 with AKs,he calls.

flop AQ5 with a flush draw,i bet out 12500,he minraises,action on me...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just go allin, your hand is too strong and the pot is too big to mess around. Betting the flop is standard enough.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:06 AM

Gotta bet the flop. I agree that a bigger pf raise makes more sense OOP.

At this point you beat nothing but a bluff... but given the dead money in the pot and the fact that he could be making a play in hopes that you have TT/JJ/KK means that you have to get the money in. If you call this bet and lead the turn your hand looks really strong. If you call this bet and check the turn you give him two chances to improve and he still isn't calling on the river unless he has you beat.

Shove.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Why?

If he had AA or QQ he probably 4-bets preflop and if he has AQ or 55 you're going to have to double him up because folding is definitely not an option with the pot this big and so few hands actually beating you. Just push the flop.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gotta bet the flop. I agree that a bigger pf raise makes more sense OOP.

At this point you beat nothing but a bluff... but given the dead money in the pot and the fact that he could be making a play in hopes that you have TT/JJ/KK means that you have to get the money in. If you call this bet and lead the turn your hand looks really strong. If you call this bet and check the turn you give him two chances to improve and he still isn't calling on the river unless he has you beat.

Shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what I would do in this spot; probably the standard play (raise more pf, bet flop, get it in). However, I'd be tempted to c/c flop.

1. Do you have one of the flush cards? What cards are flush - AQ, Q5, or A5? If it's the Q5, should it effect our analysis? Probably not, but against some opponents, it could make things more interesting.

2. I'm tempted to try to play small ball here. I have 30bb+, I'm assuming I'm a big chip leader and that my opponent is near the same. I have plenty of chips to steal and build my stack otherwise. This board is scary for both parties given ranges. I do think villain is apt not to simply call with AA/QQ/AQ/KK/JJ/1010 here. The hands I'm ahead of, he is drawing very slim, so I'm not worried about giving him a free card. Most of the scare cards that may hit on the turn and river are already gone. MOST times I'm not worried about the flush either, since at least one of the flush draws hit the A or the Q.

The pot is 20K and you said opponent is decent. If you bet, you're committed with AK. If you check, you can see what he does and go from there. You have a better chance at inducing a bluff/trapping him if he takes a big stab than you do of winning while ahead if you bet pot. You also have a better chance of keeping the pot stable until the river; I don't see you having any chance of doing this if you bet now.

Barry
Old 06-06-2007, 03:37 PM

the reason i said i should have checked the flop is that if i bet the flop,after reraising preflop,what hand that i beat will i get action from?

exactly AJ?