Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 05-31-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Trying to find a Bruce Lee quote/interview

Any Bruce Lee fans here? Maybe you can help me.

I remember watching a clip on TV where Bruce Lee was being interview by Johnny Carson (I think). Bruce Lee used a ton of metaphors to explain simple concepts with exceptional beauty and simplicity. For instance he described people as being similar to butterflies and how you couldn't hold on too tight. If you do they will either fly away or break. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm willing to buy a Bruce Lee documentary if needed but I have no idea which documentary it was. But a list of Bruce Lee metaphors/quotes is basically what I'm after.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Trying to find a Bruce Lee quote/interview

Be Like Water.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:15 PM

Here's one interview:

http://www.indianajeetkunedo.com/mul..._interview.ram

Haven't heard of a Johnny Carson interview but that doesn't mean it's not out there somewhere.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:53 PM

wikiquote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:19 PM

Man, I loved this quote when I saw it the first time. There was a documentary on Lee that showed him doing that whole "if you put water into a teapot it becomes the teapot... be water, my friends" thing and his whole philosophy came into focus for me. (I also recommend the Special Edition "Enter the Dragon" DVD -- that movie is so awesome).

Here's a link to the Carson clip, and watch how Johnny just kind of smiles and nods like he has no idea what this kung fu dude is talking about:

Lee on Carson
Old 06-01-2007, 11:48 PM

If you guys like Bruce Lee philosophy, check out a book by J. Krishnamurti.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:01 AM

Check out the DVD of "Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey." The first part is a documentary, the last par is "Game of Death." It definitely has the "Be Water" clips in it, not sure about the butterfly stuff, it's been awhile since I've watched it.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:07 AM

My uncle Jimmy used to hang out with Bruce in Hong Kong and California. He introduced two other uncles to him in Santa Monica around 1966?

Sklansky's thread on which type of fighter would win in a one on one match had smasharoo meet much ridicule for saying a boxer would win, hands down, specifically over the UFC type fighter.

I teased the thread by hinting that Bruce Lee had an opinion on this which would differ than the consensus on that thread but no one bit (probably because they didn't believe me that my uncles knew Bruce?).

Remember, this is still back in the mid 60s, long before all that UFC/Pride became popular.

Bruce said emphatically that IN A STREET FIGHT, if he could choose one guy to be in his corner (on his side) it would be Muhammad Ali.

I guess it was speed, force, and accuracy.

There were a handful of anecdotes my uncle told me about him, though I don't know how many are circulating in those old Bruce Lee magazines.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a link to the Carson clip, and watch how Johnny just kind of smiles and nods like he has no idea what this kung fu dude is talking about:

Lee on Carson

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that I kinda like Rick Astley's voice and the blond girl in the video is sexy, but it's not Bruce Lee.

For those interested you can see the whole "Be like water" interview here:

Bruce Lee - Lost Interview
Old 06-02-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My uncle Jimmy used to hang out with Bruce in Hong Kong and California. He introduced two other uncles to him in Santa Monica around 1966?

Sklansky's thread on which type of fighter would win in a one on one match had smasharoo meet much ridicule for saying a boxer would win, hands down, specifically over the UFC type fighter.

I teased the thread by hinting that Bruce Lee had an opinion on this which would differ than the consensus on that thread but no one bit (probably because they didn't believe me that my uncles knew Bruce?).

Remember, this is still back in the mid 60s, long before all that UFC/Pride became popular.

Bruce said emphatically that IN A STREET FIGHT, if he could choose one guy to be in his corner (on his side) it would be Muhammad Ali.

I guess it was speed, force, and accuracy.

There were a handful of anecdotes my uncle told me about him, though I don't know how many are circulating in those old Bruce Lee magazines.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure bruce lee often talked about the differences between martial arts, and fighting skills such as wrestling and boxing. i don't have a quote, but he said something like a few years of wrestling and boxing training will make most people a favorite over any top martial artist in a street fight.