Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Re: NL with a Cap...thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't allow rebuys until someone has completely busted out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree only with this part. If you want to play a rebuy tourney, play a rebuy tourney.

Rest of your post, I like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right. But I do like to put some restrictions as to when people can rebuy. Something like 20BB's sound good? Or do you just let them rebuy any time? as long as their total stack after rebuy is less than max buy in?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking of a structure that would be fun but not ruin someone's night.

No Limit - Capped $5.00

$40 Buy-in

.25/.50 Antes

Would anyone play this?

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The cap is too low for .25/.50 blinds. With a limped round and 6 players the pot will already be at $3. If you are going with $40 buy ins then I wouldn't put any cap on the betting. I thought you were talking about larger buy ins, in the range of $1,000 and people didn't want to lose it all on one hand.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It wouldn't be NL if you had a cap. Maybe you should try Pot limit holdem it sounds like what you are looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

geez louise, some of you have no idea what a cap game is even though you want to sound like you know what you're talking about.

Here's a decent explanation taken from fulltilt's website:

"Once you sit down at a table, hands are played exactly the same as in regular No-Limit and Pot-Limit games until the cap is reached. Once the betting cap is reached, all players left in the hand will be considered all-in.

For example, in a $60 Cap game, a player with $400 in chips may only wager up to $60 of his stack on a single hand, including pre- and post-flop play. So even if you go all-in against a bigger stack and take a bad beat, you'll still have plenty of chips left to play."
Old 05-18-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It wouldn't be NL if you had a cap. Maybe you should try Pot limit holdem it sounds like what you are looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

geez louise, some of you have no idea what a cap game is even though you want to sound like you know what you're talking about.

Here's a decent explanation taken from fulltilt's website:

"Once you sit down at a table, hands are played exactly the same as in regular No-Limit and Pot-Limit games until the cap is reached. Once the betting cap is reached, all players left in the hand will be considered all-in.

For example, in a $60 Cap game, a player with $400 in chips may only wager up to $60 of his stack on a single hand, including pre- and post-flop play. So even if you go all-in against a bigger stack and take a bad beat, you'll still have plenty of chips left to play."

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words Its not a No Limit Game -- just as the poster stated.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By definition, not a NL game. Since most people mean "capped buy-in" when they use capped, and not "capped total pot size" (oh, the horrors of the $10 cap for a $0.25/0.50 limit game in Florida, a while back), don't assume they don't know what they are talking about.

They may just not be talking about what YOU are.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You underestimate the dangers of PL. It's often more expensive than NL.

And uncapped big-bet games can be very, very dangerous for a home game's survival. Tread carefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I suspose I'm not looking at the whole picture. Guess I am wondering why someone wants to play no limit but put limits on it. I could in a way understand some limits as long as they are not too low.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By definition, not a NL game. Since most people mean "capped buy-in" when they use capped, and not "capped total pot size" (oh, the horrors of the $10 cap for a $0.25/0.50 limit game in Florida, a while back), don't assume they don't know what they are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP clearly said, "I assume if you play with a cap then you don't need to set a maximium buy in?" which means he wasn't talking about a capped buy-in (which most people would call a max buy-in anyway). I was just trying to get people back on track to what the original poster was asking and wasn't trying to be snarky.

And if a capped game (by my definition) isn't a NL game by your definition, then NO game that we call NL is truly a NL game because they are all limited by the amount of money that a person has on the table.

Limit, Pot-Limit, and No-Limit refer more to the betting structure, than to the amount one can win or lose on one hand. "Capped NL" is not an oxymoron. A capped NL game is identical to a NL game in terms of betting structure, except for the artificial cap. In a normal NL game, the cap is equal to the smallest stack (in a 2 player hand).
Old 05-18-2007, 05:36 PM

There is such a thing as CAP NL -- Full Tilt has capped NL games, for example. As pointed out earlier, they play just like NL until you reach the cap - they you are basically all-in for the capped amount.

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking of a structure that would be fun but not ruin someone's night.

No Limit - Capped $5.00

$40 Buy-in

.25/.50 Antes

Would anyone play this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would ruin my night to play with this structure!

.25/.50 blinds and then a $5 cap? So, if someone raises to $2 and I reraise, I am basically going to cap it at $5?

The cap would need to be at least $15.

Also, if you are playing a capped game, you should let players buy-in for whatever they want. If someone buys-in for $40 and another player buys-in for $200, the player with the bigger buy-in doesn't really have an advantage.

Personally I would hate to play a CAP NL or PL home game because I think that it would cause too much confusion among the players and is too much to keep up with.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry,

Capped NL is a game where the bets are capped but a player can bet anything up to the cap at any time. So it's no limit within the capped bets. This is what OP was referring to.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Capped NL" is not an oxymoron. A capped NL game is identical to a NL game in terms of betting structure, except for the artificial cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me paraphrase

A capped bet game is identical to a NL game in terms of betting structure except for the fact that it has a different betting structure.

Can't argue with that line of reasoning.