7 9 6.47%
8 5 3.60%
9 1 0.72%
10 6 4.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: A few \'scientific\' polls to compare OOT to the rest of the US

[ QUOTE ]
evolution vs intelligent design is another dumb one. Why even post these leading questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

How in the hell is that a dumb one? Considering the national polls, it seems like a reasonable question to me.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
evolution vs intelligent design is another dumb one. Why even post these leading questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's trying to find out if OOT is more or less scientifically inclined than your average American, per the OP. Intelligent design is not a scientific theory/idea/etc, it's just a moral/political one. So accepting ID but rejecting evolution is anti-scientific, or unscientific at the very least. I think OP just wants to see how OOT's demographics compare to the USA's at large.

[/ QUOTE ]

ID and evolution arent mutually exclusive is my point. It really is a nice try, you know, getting his wording to pander to the "intelligent" posters on this board, but anyone with half a brain can see how ridiculously leading and condescending the questions are.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How in the hell is that a dumb one? Considering the national polls, it seems like a reasonable question to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, becuase national polls are always unbiased. If you fail to see how you can believe in evolution and intelligent design, than you shouldn't even be making these types of posts.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I fail to see the difference between universe created by "god" and one created by "big bang".

hrm........ I should have phrased it:

"the universe was created:

A) 6,000 years ago
B) at the big bang"

[/ QUOTE ]

You know Wacki you really seem to be clueless on this sort of stuff. Someone could believe in God and still believe in the big bang. The way you write these questions is similar to the question "Do you still beat your wife?"

[/ QUOTE ]

The question didn't stack up believing in God vs. thinking the universe started with the big bang. It set against each other believing the universe started 6000 years ago and thinking it started with the big bang. Significant difference.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, becuase national polls are always unbiased. If you fail to see how you can believe in evolution and intelligent design, than you shouldn't even be making these types of posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's implied that "Evolution" has no God/Designer/Creator involved. If you do believe that there is a God/Designer/Creator you should pick the ID option.

For what it's worth, if you believe there is a God/Designer/Creator involved, you are also dumber than those who picked "Evolution." Bet ya can't guess what I picked on the first poll question...
Old 05-05-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ID and evolution arent mutually exclusive is my point. It really is a nice try, you know, getting his wording to pander to the "intelligent" posters on this board, but anyone with half a brain can see how ridiculously leading and condescending the questions are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that his language isn't precise, and probably a little more loaded/biased than helpful. Not being religious myself I didn't have a problem picking the choices, but you're right that not all of the choices are mutually exclusive.

I think a more interesting way to word the evolution/ID question would have been either:

Which of the following is a scientific theory:
1) Natural Selection
2) Intelligent Design
3) Both
4) Neither

or something like that, though that just measures knowledge and not so much personal "belief" I guess

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's implied that "Evolution" has no God/Designer/Creator involved. If you do believe that there is a God/Designer/Creator you should pick the ID option.

For what it's worth, if you believe there is a God/Designer/Creator involved, you are also dumber than those who picked "Evolution." Bet ya can't guess what I picked on the first poll question...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, you can imply it all you want but it is ridiculous, and basically just panders to the extreme sides of the debate, basically discounting about 90% of the population that believes there is a god, but evolution happened. Hence why I keep calling these questions stupid, and asinine.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

guids, did I hit a soft spot? In all honesty I never met anyone that believed in ID AND thought that man was *created* by evolution. That is very different than man being created by god and then evolving from that starting point. All of the ID arguments are based off of the assumption that certain organs are too complex to have evolved. Since you seem so upset by this poll, maybe you can find a poll from a major news outlet that leaves a slot for people who believe in both ID and the *creation* of man through evolution.

BTW, if you read my poll carefully it's entirely possible to vote that man was created via ID but evolution still happens.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:31 PM

wacki,

I think guids' point is that the questions in the poll seem to juxtapose religion and science to a degree that most people do not in their personal lives (?)

also guids, you may be working with a somewhat broader definition of ID than wacki who might be thinking of ID in more specific terms... I get the impression that guids may be equating a faith-in-god+acceptance-of-evolution position with ID?
Old 05-05-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

guids, did I hit a soft spot? In all honesty I never met anyone that believed in ID AND thought that man was *created* by evolution. All of the ID arguments are based off of the assumption that certain organs are too complex to have evolved. Since you seem so upset by this poll, maybe you can find a poll from a major news outlet that leaves a slot for people who believe in both ID and the *creation* of man through evolution.

BTW, if you read my poll carefully it's entirely possible to vote that man was created via ID but evolution still happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the soft spot you hit is bias. I cant stand it when people say things under the "guise" of information gathering etc, when all they are really doing is making a political statement. I think there are a TON of people that believe there is a god, and he created something, but we dont know what it is, and man did go through the scientific evolution process. If you havent met many people like this you should get out of your house once in awhile.