Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Re: 5 Generals 6 Admirals on Climate Change: There will be wars over w

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's propaganda pieces like this that make me skeptical of global warming in the first place. If not for this kind of crap, I'd be right on the bandwagon.

[/ QUOTE ]

so if it wasn't for people talking about the ways that the effects of global warming might play out on a worldwide scale, you'd think it was true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2007, 01:33 AM

why is this or say, reports from scientists that global warming could cause massive die-offs of humans and other species, a "propaganda piece" rather than people trying to come to terms with what be the most substantial problem humans have ever faced?

If you have specific rebuttals then post them, but saying if it wasn't for people saying the consequences would be so [censored] bad, i'd be on the bandwagon is silly when most of the people "on the bandwagon" are there specifically because they believe it is possible for the consequences to be extremely grave
Old 04-17-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why is this or say, reports from scientists that global warming could cause massive die-offs of humans and other species, a "propaganda piece"

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the fact that theories, minority theories are presented as facts that makes it a propaganda piece, among others things.

"The report says that in the next 30 to 40 years there will be wars over water, increased hunger instability from worsening disease"

Huh? Why would there be a water shortage. Not only have I never heard of any kind of consensus belief of a water shortage, but considering the advances in desalinization technology, it's patently absurd.

Similarly with the diseases. Who the hell thinks that diseases are going to run rampant because of global warming?

This article starts off by presenting these two off the wall theories as facts, showing the bias of the contributor to those who are aware of what's being done and scaring the bejesus out of those who aren't.

"Climate change exacerbates already unstable situations,"

Well, since we've established that by this article's definition, "climate change" automatically includes water shortages and rampant disease, this might well be true. Of course, once they go this route, they can no longer make any claims of a consensus of scientists supporting "climate change" as the kind of "climate change" they support is not anything remotely like the type of "climate change" this article is talking about.

At this point, the article continues on in this vein, with everything stemming from the fallacious assumption at the beginning. None of these things takes "generals" to figure out once you've accepted that water shortages and rampant disease are inevitable. The whole purpose of this article is to distract the reader and make them assume that water shortages and rampant disease are inevitable.

Present what you want the reader to believe as a fact and the underlying assumption of the article and then proceed to talk about the inevitable horrors of this fact. This is basic propaganda here, whether or not the fact is true or not! Even if the we really do have water shortages and disease to come, this presentation is still proganda. It's trying to convince people to believe what it wants to believe through trickery rather than through information. Who cares what the results of this water shortage and rampant disease are going to be. The fact that these things would be bad is obvious to even a complete moron, show me why I should believe they're going to happen. Instead, the article is carefully manufactured to convince the reader these things are going to happen without providing any actual evidence. The fact that a so-called neutral news organization gets away with this kind of obvious propaganda is simply appalling.

My favorite part is right at the end:

"Weaver said that over the past years, scientists, who by nature are cautious, have been attacked by conservative activists when warning about climate change. This shows that it's not a liberal-conservative issue, Weaver said."

1. Pure double talk. First it says "conservatives are the bad guys," then it backs off to try to pretend to erase the blatant bias it just espoused by claiming it's "not a liberal-conservative issue."

2. An irrelevant opinion that has no real bearing on the article. Clearly intended to convince the reader that conservatives are the enemy. This is also very clearly the author's opinion and he quoted someone else solely as an effort to pretend a lack of bias.

3. The quotes aren't "quoted"! By using unquoted quotes, it tricks the reader into believing that the statements in question are fact rather than opinion.

All in all, this article is a ridiculous pile of propaganda. Maybe the ideas presented are true, but if you want to convince me, show me facts, not propaganda. Even an ardent supporter of extreme global warming scenarios should be able to see this article for what it is.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:25 AM

My first thought, as a Canadian living in Toronto, a city on the coast of Lake Ontario:

OH [censored].
Old 04-17-2007, 02:31 AM

Some help:

http://www.criticalthinking.org/TGS_...-MediaBias.pdf
Old 04-17-2007, 02:37 AM

Default Re: 5 Generals 6 Admirals on Climate Change: There will be wars over water

[ QUOTE ]
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Global warming poses a "serious threat to America's national security" and the U.S. likely will be dragged into fights over water and other shortages, top retired military leaders warn in a new report.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you stop and reflect this general concept is nothing new, surprising, or even that thought provoking. Humanity has been fighting over resources, arable land, trade and sea routes, strategic access points, and a host of perceived or real precious commodities for millennium. The general concept is age old. I recall reading about the first ever recorded war in Will Durant's Story of Civilization - it was over rocks, diorite if I recall correctly, that a specific brigand King wished to use to make statues of himself with and that diorite just happened to be in someone else's sphere of ownership. Thus a war commenced to acquire that which the King needed to sanctify and preserved for posterity his glory, greed, pride, and ego, all acquired by spilling other peoples blood.

Anyway, I care little about any of this. I’m more concerned about the price of my GE stock and the money to be made from the future apocalypse. Go global warming, and if humanity finally exterminates itself and I can make a profit before the curtain falls that is just Icing on the Cake for me.

And one more thing, everyone better start arming up for the big rumble. You don't want to be left out of all the fun.

Le Misanthrope
Old 04-17-2007, 03:38 AM

Default Why Should I Care About Their Opinions?

Why should I care about their opinions?
The Man-Causes-Global-Warming-Cult (MCGWC) must be getting desperate if they think an endorsement from these nitwits will help their cause......
Old 04-17-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Why Should I Care About Their Opinions?

Alex:

I was referring to the report:

http://securityandclimate.cna.org/report/

not the CNN summary of the report.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:40 AM

Default Re: 5 Generals 6 Admirals on Climate Change: There will be wars over w *DELETED*

Post deleted by jman220

Ridiculous AC hijack that has nothing to do with the OP. 1 day ban.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:45 AM

good thread hijack Nielsio.