Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 03-30-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Bankroll Requirements

Could someone give me some general bankroll guidelines that are good to follow in PLO? Thanks.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Bankroll Requirements

2 buyins tops
Old 03-30-2007, 02:33 AM

well aba said something along the lines of 'a 40BI PLO downswing is the equivalent of 20BI NLHE downswing' so i guess it should be twice ur nlhe bankroll requirement
Old 03-30-2007, 03:24 AM

Let's just say I know a certain someone whose biggest swing was quite a bit over 100 buy ins.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:52 AM

I guess all PLO players did have sessions where you're down a few buyins in a few hands.
Amazing how fast it can go. Same to the winnings btw.

I guess the 40Buyins is a realistic start. But dont be afraid to loose them all.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:11 AM

When I get to 20 buyins i move up, and at 15 i'm doing 1 at the next level up and 3 at the lower level. Never had to move down, but i'm more nitty than most mid stakes players. The secret is to always run well when you play the next higher stake!!!

Went down 7.5 buyins last night, though. That's one of my worst nights ever. I guess my swings aren't that large.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:26 AM

As always, it depends on a lot of things:
Is this going to be a living or just a (hopefully) profitable hobby?
How good are you? How succesptable to variance is your style of play? (If you are a good lag, your variance is going to be much higher than if you are tighter, though it will be high there, too.)
What stakes? (This is really a flavor of EV and STD, which is directly above with other phrasing)
Can you (honestly) stick to a plan to drop down if your bankroll drops? (A lot of people can just not do it, and a lot of people, like me, can but a bit after when they tell themselves they would. People who can do it like a machine are few and far between).

Gotta go to lunch, but if it is a hobby and you can drop down you can play on 10-20 buy ins at the low levels, but that number should ramp up considerably as you move up (like 50ish at 5/10 I would say, again IF you can drop down as needed).
Old 03-30-2007, 11:59 AM

Depends a lot on what kind of game you play. An ultra LAG style can have some sick swings.

I would say a minimum of 30 BI's for your current level and 20 BI's for the level below that, and 20 BI's for the level below that one, too.

So if you wanted to play 5-10 I'd reccomend you have a bankroll of $50,000.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:49 PM

The swings can apparently be sick, but at the smaller stakes, where one can be very nitty to the point of nearly nut peddling and still be profitable, they aren't quite as bad. I think at the higher levels you really need to be strongly mindful of bankroll requirements and have 40BI as recommended by others.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:16 PM

Honestly, I'd say 20-50 buy-ins.

20's where I'd recommend someone start at lower stakes who's playing semi-recreationally. Yes, there's a chance you'll go busto, but it's pretty unlikely, and you can get a pretty good winrate with relatively low variance when you're playing lower stakes.

50's what I need to feel comfortable playing in a LAGgy high-variance game such as the 5/10 on Bodog the way it used to run pre-Neteller issues. It's definitely higher than NL though. If you don't feel comfortable playing NL with 25 BI, then you're going to want more than 50 for PLO.