Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 11:05 PM

Default Password Security Suggestion--Key Fobs

(This is not my idea. It was originally posted by shawny boy in this thread about a poster who was hacked.)

A key fob is basically a little key chain with a digital display. The display shows a number that changes about every 30 seconds, and in order to log into your account someone would need your screen name, password, and this number.

So, a keylogger would no longer do anything because the hacker would only receive your username, password, and a number that's no longer valid. We also wouldn't have to worry about letting our friends use our computers, as long as we don't give them access to the key.

It sound like it might be really hard to implement, but PayPal's offering them to clients for $5 each, so it can't be that hard. (link)

Is there any reason why the poker sites shouldn't be working to implement this as soon as possible?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Password Security Suggestion--Key Fobs

[ QUOTE ]
(This is not my idea. It was originally posted by shawny boy in this thread about a poster who was hacked.)

A key fob is basically a little key chain with a digital display. The display shows a number that changes about every 30 seconds, and in order to log into your account someone would need your screen name, password, and this number.

So, a keylogger would no longer do anything because the hacker would only receive your username, password, and a number that's no longer valid. We also wouldn't have to worry about letting our friends use our computers, as long as we don't give them access to the key.

It sound like it might be really hard to implement, but PayPal's offering them to clients for $5 each, so it can't be that hard. (link)

Is there any reason why the poker sites shouldn't be working to implement this as soon as possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is absolutely no reason. But it really should be something that is widely sold in stores, then registered with whatever accounts you want to protect. There should not be individual ones for every service that wants to be more secure.

So you could have you one unit with a unique serial or other address then you can register it with PP, or FTP or paypal, or your bank or whatever
Old 02-23-2007, 11:30 PM

Agreed... a nice idea would be for the sites to offer them for a certain # of action points, which would effectively make sure that the people who needed them had access to them.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:33 PM

My password is FTPisrigged##!
Old 02-23-2007, 11:57 PM

This is a very good idea.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:11 AM

Secure tokens have been mentioned many times, and in threads started by the likes of FTPDoug and Lee Jones.

I have yet to see a response from FTP or PokerStars...

As I always post when talking about these "If Ebay/PayPal can do it so can PokerStars, FullTilt, etc, etc".
Old 02-24-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you could have you one unit with a unique serial or other address then you can register it with PP, or FTP or paypal, or your bank or whatever

[/ QUOTE ]If FTP or paypal can derive the fob's sequence from a serial number, so can the bad guys.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]If FTP or paypal can derive the fob's sequence from a serial number, so can the bad guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a link to the VeriSign sight, where you can do more research on how secure tokens work and some of the options available.
VeriSign Site

And here is a link to Wikipedia on secure tokens...
Wikipedia Secure Tokens

We want the "one time" or "single use" type for poker sites.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:19 AM

I think this is a very good idea. It should also be optional, though. I think something like this may scare away fish if they are required to use it. But for the security-conscious, having the option to use such a token would sure make me sleep better at night.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:05 AM

older thread discussing secure tokens. I'd really like to see Stars and Full Tilt implement them.