Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Question from mod forum: homosexuality + retardation

I worked as security in an adult bookstore for a minute, and there was a group of retarded young men 18-20ish who would come into the store and use the video arcade. The guy who worked the counter happened to be gay and said that the group came in often. Obviously they had sexual urges, less obvious was if they were actually gay or just taking advantage of opportunity. I think their chance of scoring with any chick retarded or not would be pretty small so I believe they had more opportunity and less inhibition to act on sexual urges with the other retarded members of their group.

Joe
Old 02-23-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bd - re: "whether or not people who actually mentally retarded express things like homosexuality"

I read this to mean that [censored] was implying that a predisposition to homosexuality might be genetic, and that he was wondering if a mentally retarded person would be able to act on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think censored used the phrase "express homosexuality" just as one would use the phrase "is gay."

i didnt take anything from the OP that might indicate whether censored thinks homosexuality is nature or nuture.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bd - re: "whether or not people who actually mentally retarded express things like homosexuality"

I read this to mean that [censored] was implying that a predisposition to homosexuality might be genetic, and that he was wondering if a mentally retarded person would be able to act on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think censored used the phrase "express homosexuality" just as one would use the phrase "is gay."

i didnt take anything from the OP that might indicate whether censored thinks homosexuality is nature or nuture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I given this some thought in the past

I think there are people who are born straight and regardless of environment will be straight

I think there are people who are born gay and regardless of environment will be gay

and then I think there are people who are born somewhere in a range and that environment can have an effect on whether or not they are gay, straight or bi.

I have no scientific evidence to back any of this up

I also think its possible that heterosexuality is sort of the default given the nature of societies and that it may require a higher level thinking to come in touch and express something like homosexuality so I would expect it to be less prevalent in mentally retarded population. Additionally it would make sense that environment would play a larger role with the retarded.

the responses so far though are causing me to reconsider
Old 02-23-2007, 06:15 PM

"I did a google search but found absolutely nothing. "

You answered your own question. Google knows all....
Old 02-23-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I was reading a post where a mod got called a gay retard which got me thinking about whether or not people who actually mentally retarded express things like homosexuality, or whether or not there have been any studies. I think this would be interesting as its not something I've ever seen discussed but I would expect that ratio of homosexual to heterosexual to be the same regardless of IQ. Would everyone agree?

I did a google search but found absolutely nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Along the same lines would be a retard with an accent. I have always been good at voices/impressions (kinda want to do it professionally), but I never could wrap my head around doing a retarded Eastern-Indian. Try it... it's not easy.

I guess there just aren't many bi-lingual retards.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
people who actually mentally retarded express things like homosexuality

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 02-23-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually think homosexuality is more a function of one's environment growing up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may believe this, but it is incorrect. There are numerous studies that have found differences in the brain of people who are homosexual.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:03 PM

But we have not measured the brains of all homosexuals, nor are we sure that such behavior cannot modify the brain or hormonal system, as happens with other environmental influences.

Btw, I count pollution and such as potential environmental modifiers, too. Perhaps acting on genetic predispositions/existing hormonal balances to help cause various diseases. All us milk drinkers and beef and chicken eaters are getting unprecedented levels of hormones that way, and we are getting pseudo-hormones through pollutants that already are showing the sperm count of human males has plunged in the last half century. They've also been indicated in frogs and fishes and lizards becoming hermaphroditic, or infertile, etc.

We don't know enough about genetics, chemistry, and the incredible number of ways they relate to each other in any single person or animal to really know what we're talking about when we talk about environmental influences on something as complex as human sexuality yet. Our science isn't there yet, a few studies with some measurements notwithstanding.

And we don't really know definitively how much and in exactly which ways social factors shape either the personality or the raw material of the brain and hormonal system, either. We just know that it does, and that new findings are turning up all the time. So it's way too early to say we've got any of this stuff really figured out.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Study after study after study indicates that it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when people use this line as defence for their position. Care to reference any of these *numerous* studies?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Study after study after study indicates that it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when people use this line as defence for their position. Care to reference any of these *numerous* studies?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes people say that because it's an issue whose factual basis should be taken as given.

Study after study after study after study.

There are others, but my biological drive is telling me that it's friday night and I should go out and try to find some delicious vagina instead of staying in having a slap fight over this stupid issue. Take your snottily expressed lack-of-an-opinion elsewhere.

-bb.