Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1 Flop

I check behind on this street, I agree the pot is tempting, however I'm not sure a continuation bet's success rate is high enough in this spot with two people still in, one being MJ, and I hate a C/R here, which MJ is fully capable of doing with just about anything. Check behind and see what you pick up on the turn, then evaluate.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree, a 1K bet could be taken as weakness by two very solid players. As I posted earlier, just check and see another card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't worry about that so much, because I play a set, overpair or top kicker the same way. So if villain has seen me play a set, top pair,or an overpair before then he has to respect the bet, similarly if he hasn't and then sees me fold here then I'm more likely to get paid off later when I do hold a set or overpair or top kicker and I make the same bet.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:50 PM

Now that I've raised and gotten the predictable 2 callers, it's gonna take a lot better than this flop to get me to bet it.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:52 PM

Since the CO and blind call my raise, I can't see playing on with the hand. I would definitely check behind because they expect you to bet.

I don't like to play two crazily with two callers. I might make a play if I was up against one opponent. But, in this incidence you do have chips to play with and can survive at this point if you fold. It might sound tight-weak but you should be able to find better spots.

Stipe
Old 09-19-2005, 05:57 PM

well, there is 2K in the pot and 11K in my stack. I want this pot. The villains are certainly going to assume that this missed me (and of course it did), but that doesn't mean I am ready to give up. I'm betting out - 1200 is the right size. It is enough to show that I am serious about the hand while small enough to allow me the All-in bluff I'm planning on with FE over disagreeable hands like JQ. So my plan is to bet 1200, and then come over-the-top AI if raised to 3600 or less. This will be, naturally, after a considered pause in which I am carefully weighing my options and doing imaginary math in my head.

Why am I doing this? Because I believe I have FE over any pair. I am going home if they have T9, or trips, but that's ok. A board like this, an AI to shut out all draws is understandable and I think it is likely that they will put me on JJ-AA, or at worst AT.

CSC
Old 09-19-2005, 06:05 PM

Well, I advocated a non-standard limp from the button originally. But, since we've already put in the raise:

I'm betting between 1,000-1,200 here. We have position, this board presents potential draws to our opponents. I'm not giving them any free cards here. If I get check-raised out of the pot, so be it, the turn card might've gotten us into more trouble than it was worth for all we know.

Agression, agression, agression. You look way too weak to not bet in that spot. If you held a strong hand (let's say you flopped a set) are you going to allow anyone to draw for free with 9/10 on that board? I certainly wouldn't.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:14 PM

Check.

The board is not too threatening, I may pick up a nice draw on the turn, and I really don't want to get c/r'd off my hand.

I highly doubt I win the hand with a cont-bet now that there is 3 players.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 09-19-2005, 06:15 PM

Check it

With this stack size, if your continuation bet gets anything but two folds, you are done with the hand. You have no room to manipulate if you get reraised. If called your only hope is to shell off half of your stack or give up the pot. Even if you get called and pair up, you now have built a big pot that you probably can't get away from with so few chips. This is troublesome.

If your hand had NO room for improvement then I might consider a 1500 chip continuation bet. But you have a 3 straight and 3 flush and two overs and position, so taking a card off can do wonders for you. If you turn a good draw you're in an excellent spot to semi bluff a bettor off of their hand. If a brick comes and someone bets much you can get away with relatively little invested. If you hit a pair you can play some poker in a relatively controlled pot.

All signs point to checking as the option that gives me the best chance to outplay the other two. Betting lets them pick me apart.

Everett
Old 09-19-2005, 06:19 PM

I'm gonna go one step further: if you feel compelled to bet this flop because you raised PF and it's a nice pot now, etc., you were very, very wrong to raise.

The ONLY time I would bet here is if I was gonna take CSC's line and 3 bet the CR that is obviously coming, but if you are gonna play this for all your chips vs. that same limping CO, you're going to have to square that with the 'but he could be trapping' posts everyone just made in the last thread.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The ONLY time I would bet here is if I was gonna take CSC's line and 3 bet the CR that is obviously coming

[/ QUOTE ]
This is obviously deep stack poker and very different from the online tourneys we usually play. Can you explain what makes the hand up until now an obvious one to check-raise and by whom (MJ or CO)?