Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 12:35 PM

Default PCA hand, allin preflop with 76o at the 100/200 level

blinds are 100/200, I have 17k. In the first level I raised one or two times and orbit but never showed down a hand, sometimes I won on the flop, sometimes I folded on the flop, I think I folded to one reraise preflop. Anyway, my image is basically that I've been opening a fair amount but no one has seen my cards and no one knows who I am. Villain in the hand is some kid in an eagle's jersey who I didn't recognize. In the first level he had played even more hands than me, with really large bets. The largest of which was when he opened to 4000, which we found out after the first level was a live misclick because through his sunglasses he thought they were $100 chips. Anyway, he's been raising a bunch, getting involved, winning pots uncontested, a couple times he got caught bluffing. He mentioned that it was his first live event and he seemed to me like he really didn't want to bust - not the kind of lag that is willing to take a 51/49 for all his chips.

Anyway, the hand: our table is about to break but then it doesn't, and david singer is in the big blind and jokes that the table not breaking cost him $200, and he better get it back and that no one should raise his blind. Folded to me in the co, I raise 76o (duh) to 600, button (curzdog, I guess? I don't really know anything about him, but he's not very relevant here) calls, and sb (villain) raises to 2700, singer folds, and the only thing going through my mind is that in that spot, I am reraising any two, and that I think that while he might not be that crazy, his squeezing range there is pretty enormous. I count my chips, realize that a shove is a fairly large overbet, and then think about it more (I didn't actually think about it as long as this makes it sound, probably about 15 seconds) and decide that an overbet means he's calling off 95% of his chips, and I decided his calling range was probably QQ+, maaaaaaaaaybe JJ and AK, but I really didn't think he would call with those hands. I thought his raising range was somewhere between A9+, 77+, broadway to 100%, with an 'average range' of like... A5+, 22+, broadway, suited connectors, and if he only calls QQ+, that shove is really easy. I think that given that range it's still a shove if he calls with JJ and AK, but I can't get pokerstove to work right now. But like I said, I didn't think he's the kind of player who would call for everything in the 2nd level without a very very good hand, whereas he is the kind of player who would squeeze there pretty wide. Basically, my read on him was that he was a 'non-thinking lag'. I also don't think he thought I was the kind of player who would shove anything but a very very good hand there.

So that was really effing long for a preflop hand, and also really read based so there's maybe not much point in discussing it, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, since it's a somewhat... unorthodox play and I've never played a live event before.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: PCA hand, allin preflop with 76o at the 100/200 level

So did you shove or not?
Old 01-06-2007, 01:10 PM

oh, I did (not that that's actually relevant) after ~15 seconds
Old 01-06-2007, 01:53 PM

so I just realized villain was 2p2er eagleskickass, for whatever that's worth. I'm still 95% sure he didn't know who I was though
Old 01-06-2007, 02:06 PM

Ya I didn't know it was you for sure I thought you were some random donk who qualified. I hadn't really been playing that lag I don't think. Anyways something to add is I'd 3bet you twice already. Once you folded pre the other time i 3bet you called and cbet the flop and you folded.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:18 PM

what's wrong with just 4betting to like 9k-ish?
Old 01-06-2007, 02:25 PM

You sure he's 3-betting small PPs? Lots of players pretty much never 3-bet with more than 30 bbs with 22-99.

Pokerstove's not working for me either, so I'll try and do stuff by hand. I'm going to assume that he's not 3-betting 22-99 and otherwise assume your range is right.

So his raising range is A5+ (136 combos), TT+ (30), JT (16), QT+ (32), KT+ (48), 45s-9Ts (24), for a total of 286 hands. Let's just say he calls half the time with JJ/AK, so that makes his calling range 3 combos of JJ, 8 combos of AK and 18 combos of QQ+, for 29 combos total.

Your push costs you like 16k to win a pot of 4.1k. Since he's only calling you like 10% of the time, this is a profitable push even if you lose 100% of the time when called [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Did I do something stupid somewhere or is that right?
Old 01-06-2007, 02:48 PM

Well given your read, I guess a push here could be slightly EV+. I still hate it though. You have almost 100 BB, IMO it's ridiculous to risk them all for this small pot, even if it is EV+.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well given your read, I guess a push here could be slightly EV+. I still hate it though. You have almost 100 BB, IMO it's ridiculous to risk them all for this small pot, even if it is EV+.

[/ QUOTE ]
your attitude towards tournament play needs a little adjusting....+EV is +EV dude
Old 01-06-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
your attitude towards tournament play needs a little adjusting....+EV is +EV dude

[/ QUOTE ]

No it doesn't, I've played many tourneys, and have very good results. I know the majority of 2+2 thinks that you should always take EV+ spots, but I disagree. In this example, I don't see the need to force things for a small pot, especially when you have a deep stack. Grinding your stack up/winning a big pot with a good hand is a more sound strategy than running a huge bluff.