Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 11:01 PM

Default Is PLO the toughest form of poker to handle mentally?

As apposed to holdem and stud etc.

For me it has to be. Bad beats happen 10x more than in holdem and Bad play just doesnt seem to ever get punished (preflop at least). Variance is just torture too.

I mean at 100PLO all the time I see hands where people call off more than half their stack with hands like K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]1 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and when they win the hand they turn around and say "I knew you had aces".

I mean wtf is that?! Isn't the point of taking advantage of the implied odds in hands like this to actually have money behind to punish your opponent?!

Ok so this post was inspired by another bs session filled with this [censored], but who else can I cry to?

Am I doing something wrong or is this just daily occurences for everyone here in omaha?

For those that play 100PLO or higher, is beating these stakes just about nut peddling? cos it seems making moves of any type just get punished by terrible play.

Anybody feel like making a "how to beat 100PLO"? lol

Apologies for the rant
Old 12-13-2006, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Is PLO the toughest form of poker to handle mentally?

Daily occurrences.

Poker Room skin
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $5/$5
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $863.30
Hero: $737.40
SB: $122.35
BB: $1.399.90

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $20</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $65</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $350</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB calls all-in $52.35</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($882.35, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $417.05, Sidepot 1: $465.3)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG is all-in $513.3</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in $387.4</font>.
Uncalled bets: $125.9 returned to UTG.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($1657.15, 0 player + 3 all-in - Main pot: $417.05, Sidepot 1: $1240.1)

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($1657.15, 0 player + 3 all-in - Main pot: $417.05, Sidepot 1: $1240.1)

Results:
Final pot: $1657.15
<font color="#ffffff">UTG shows JS 7S 8S 6S </font>
<font color="#ffffff">Hero shows 5D 6C AD AS </font>
<font color="#ffffff">SB shows QS 10D QH 4C </font>
Old 12-13-2006, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As apposed to holdem and stud etc.

For me it has to be. Bad beats happen 10x more than in holdem and Bad play just doesnt seem to ever get punished (preflop at least). Variance is just torture too.

I mean at 100PLO all the time I see hands where people call off more than half their stack with hands like K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]1 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and when they win the hand they turn around and say "I knew you had aces".

I mean wtf is that?! Isn't the point of taking advantage of the implied odds in hands like this to actually have money behind to punish your opponent?!

Ok so this post was inspired by another bs session filled with this [censored], but who else can I cry to?

Am I doing something wrong or is this just daily occurences for everyone here in omaha?

For those that play 100PLO or higher, is beating these stakes just about nut peddling? cos it seems making moves of any type just get punished by terrible play.

Anybody feel like making a "how to beat 100PLO"? lol

Apologies for the rant

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I made a post with some general thoughts about 100plo a while back, but I'm too lazy to look for it. I don't find Omaha to be that mentally strenuous, you just have to get used to the idea that your whole stack is a starting point.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:22 PM

I find a direct correlation between my perceived skill level and my comfort in handling swings (read: losing). I'm pretty comfortable with my ability in LHE, so I can better assess things. But, I think PLO is just so much more complicated, that a fair assessment is hard unless you're very confident in your abilities... something I'm not. When you factor in the fact that you very rarely have a big edge postflop, a complicated situation becomes even more muddied.

Just my opinion.
Steve
Old 12-13-2006, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For me it has to be. Bad beats happen 10x more than in holdem

[/ QUOTE ]

You can quantify a bad beat as being how much money you get into the pot and your pot equity when you do so.

I would imagine that in PLO you are getting your money in when you are LESS of a favorite than when you do so in NL.

PLO is going to be more of you piling your money in when you have a smaller edge. When you go 5 times in a row with your whole stack and are a 60-70%, and don't win any of those...how you handle that will help decide if PLO is your game.

I personally am more OK with the beats in PLO because I know I'm less of favorite in those hands, compared to when you are 80% to win in NL and your opponent catches a miracle card on you.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For me it has to be. Bad beats happen 10x more than in holdem

[/ QUOTE ]

You can quantify a bad beat as being how much money you get into the pot and your pot equity when you do so.

I would imagine that in PLO you are getting your money in when you are LESS of a favorite than when you do so in NL.

PLO is going to be more of you piling your money in when you have a smaller edge. When you go 5 times in a row with your whole stack and are a 60-70%, and don't win any of those...how you handle that will help decide if PLO is your game.

I personally am more OK with the beats in PLO because I know I'm less of favorite in those hands, compared to when you are 80% to win in NL and your opponent catches a miracle card on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. 80% hands hold up 80% of the time no matter what you're playing. Hold'em players switching to Omaha just have a hard time getting used to the fact that they're not going to be in such a dominating position nearly as often.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:26 AM

I actually think playing deep stack NL with decent players and maybe even very aggressive 2-7 or badugi game is much tougher to handle mentally. Can 100plo be more stressful then 100nl? Most definitely.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually think playing deep stack NL with decent players and maybe even very aggressive 2-7 or badugi game is much tougher to handle mentally. Can 100plo be more stressful then 100nl? Most definitely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokerstars needs to get on badugi stat.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:38 AM

Yeah that would be hot. I'd like to get unstuck in the 30/60 2-7 at some point also maybe lee jones can help with that.