Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 11-12-2006, 05:30 PM

Default FPS or max value?

40-80 Borgata

Villian in the hand is a TAGish mid-twenties female who is decent but exploitable. She's not running very well and has lost three hands in the last two orbits. I've been at the table for about two orbits and won one hand without a showdown. She hasn't played against me, but my conversation with the other regulars and my play so far should have me pegged as TAG.

I open raise black 88 UTG+1 and villian 3 bets right behind. Folds to me and I call.

Flop: 7h-8h-8x

I checkraise and call a 3bet.

Turn: (7h-8h-8x)-Kx

I donk and she calls.

River: (7h-8h-8x-Kx)-5h

I check...

I'll post my reads for this specific hand later on.

-Blake
Old 11-12-2006, 05:55 PM

Default Re: FPS or max value?

standard
Old 11-12-2006, 05:57 PM

I think the river check is definitely a mistake. Your hand looks a lot like (1) K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] x [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]; (2) a monster; (3) some goofy bluff that is looking to check-fold. Against that range, I don't think you're going to find her making too many thin value bets, and you cost yourself action if she has a flush herself.

I'm indifferent about the turn bet. Against AA or A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I think you probably get one more bet by check-raising, watching her 3-bet, and then capping. Against KK, it doesn't matter much what you do. Against QQ/JJ, I suppose that the line can work if it produces a call-call instead of a bet-fold. On the other hand, she might fold immediately to your bet and she might bet and calldown your check-raise. Finally, there's a small chance that she has something like A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in which case you're best off checking and getting one more bet out of her since she will likely bluff at this card but will probably give up if you bet. So I'd lean slightly toward check-raising again. The donkbet actually works better if the card was a blank rather than a K, since that allows her to make a "bad" reraise with QQ or JJ.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:22 PM

If you're going to lead the turn I think you might as well 4bet the flop and get the extra small bet from her. On that board she may very well put you on a draw and call you down with ace high, and with you taking the lead you might be lucky enough to get raised if she improves.

Just my opinion...
Old 11-12-2006, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to lead the turn I think you might as well 4bet the flop and get the extra small bet from her.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he was planning on leading every turn. The K was a good card to bet because it's a bit of a scare to any pair. I think if a low card hit the turn, OP was checkraising.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to lead the turn I think you might as well 4bet the flop and get the extra small bet from her.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he was planning on leading every turn. The K was a good card to bet because it's a bit of a scare to any pair. I think if a low card hit the turn, OP was checkraising.

[/ QUOTE ]

The king shouldn't be such a scare card given his flop play.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The king shouldn't be such a scare card given his flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, although I see a lot of players open AK, call a 3-bet, then checkraise a paired flop like that. So it's not a totally unusual line if Hero has AK. A hand like JJ/TT/99 could check this behind (though the description of her as a TAG makes a turn bet more likely with these hands).

Not saying I wouldn't checkraise, but I can see OP's thinking.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Villian in the hand is a TAGish mid-twenties female who is decent but exploitable

[/ QUOTE ]

Is she Asian and attractive? If so, you have an easy easy easy turn checkraise given your flop play. She plays her draws very fast on the flop.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Villian in the hand is a TAGish mid-twenties female who is decent but exploitable

[/ QUOTE ]

Is she Asian and attractive? If so, you have an easy easy easy turn checkraise given your flop play. She plays her draws very fast on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure this is her. I had yet to see her turn over a draw or play a hand where she seemed to play one fast and then muck it later. But if you're right, my line should either be 4bet/lead or the line I took unless she's continuing on the turn a pretty high percentage of the time. Obviously I'm not worrying about a free card but it's a disaster for me when she misses on every street and gets to fold without giving me even one bet.

When dealing with TAGier types I tend to compensate for my read my adding in a bit of weakness (because in most cases they have it), so I knew that she either loved or hated the turn and I would either get to 3bet or avoid missing a bet on the turn or river.

I didn't include this in the original post, because it's bit more situational and I wanted to get a broader response, but when I bet the turn the she said "Okay..." very hesitantly which made me think she either had QQ or a draw.

I don't love the way I played it for every time I flop a monster, but I think my lines have a little merit. Thanks for the responses so far. Hope there are more.

-Blake

PS. I [censored] up in my original post. Flop was 778, giving me top full and not quads. I don't think it matters that much because this isn't a cooler/bad beat hand and I have a monster either way.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is who I am thinking of, isn't she generally tight/solid and more likely to hold a made hand here? She generally is not as willing to make value bets as is optimal (though much more so than the rest of the players).