FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Good Post bad post
Good 4 20.00%
Bad 16 80.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2006, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Charges Sought Against Rumsfeld Over Prison Abuse

[ QUOTE ]
It's a trial for failure and being associated with a discredited idea, not war crimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would have to be established at a trial, I guess. To me, any form of torture is anathema and a crime, that is so regressive, that I can only think of the inquisition, as having a similar false motivation for such an evil.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Germany was chosen for the court filing because German law provides "universal jurisdiction"

[/ QUOTE ]

In my house, I have just finished jman220's house's rules of civil procedure. In my house, I have jurisdiction over crimes that have occurred everywhere in the world, including other planets. I am now initiating a lawsuit, to be heard by judge jman220, in the court of jman220, against Neil Armstrong for the vandalism he did to the moon.

[/ QUOTE ]

at least we know now where from the idea of "universal jurisdiction" over other countries solving their domestic problems, defence issues, allies, leaderships, economy came out. what colour is your house jman220?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not arguing that Rumsfeld isn't possibly guilty of war crimes. I'm simply arguing that the forum for that grievance is certainly not Germany.

[/ QUOTE ]

party agree, because this might not be good for germany/USA relations. but still, it would be much better choice than a trial in the USA. domestic trials are always the worst choice in case of war crimes.
he should be put on international court which USA don't recognize. that's a shame, i believe int law should be above in cases of war crimes + it would make USA much more credible.

otherwise IMO the most important would be a message here. message not to him, but to administration and generals of any country. it should be very clear to any government and generals what torturing is and what shouldn't be allowed. and punishments for all severe.
no matter if he stays out or not, it's just one man, what's more important is there is a chance for much more regulated system, to give a straight message to generals and to open black box and talk about it as much as possible. and maybe, just maybe guantanamo would be closed someday too.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he should be put on international court which USA don't recognize.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was involved in a class in college that heavily debated the U.S. joining the ICC. While there are certainlly reasons on both sides, I came to the conclusion that we cannot join it, because its institutions would violate too many of our constitutional amendments. Specifically the 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 14th, and probably 1st.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:07 PM

I am for Rumsfeld being tried for war crimes (and the attorney general as well). I believe the US violated the Geneva Conventions of which we are a signatore. We must be held accountable for our actions. Ultimately, the blame will lay with our President as it should (in two years why wouldn't he be tried?). It was clearly his directive to Rumsfeld or at least his green light that led to our tortured version of what we could and couldn't do. Even today, with his signing statement, Bush is allowing torture to occur on behalf of the US.

Perhaps if Cheney, then Secretary of Defense, had been held accountable in the late 1980's for providing Iraq with air intelligence which was used to pinpoint mustard gas attacks against Iranian soldiers - another violation of the Geneva Conventions - he and Rumsfeld wouldn't have been able to take us down this latest dark path in Iraq.

I don't care where the court is held so long as it is impartial. The ultimate irony is that Bush chose to track down and have Sadam Hussein tried for war crimes. Not that he didn't deserve it, but whats good for the goose is good for the gander...
Old 11-15-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Subjecting prisoners who by right could have been summarily executed as combattants out of uniform,

[/ QUOTE ]

Summary execution is not permitted under any circumstances in international law. Those faced with charges of having committed war crimes are entitled to a fair tribunal to establish this, and are supposed to be given POW rights in the meantime.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Germany was chosen for the court filing because German law provides "universal jurisdiction"

[/ QUOTE ]

In my house, I have just finished jman220's house's rules of civil procedure. In my house, I have jurisdiction over crimes that have occurred everywhere in the world, including other planets. I am now initiating a lawsuit, to be heard by judge jman220, in the court of jman220, against Neil Armstrong for the vandalism he did to the moon.

[/ QUOTE ]

You understand that countries can do this, right?

Germany can pass and enforce any law they want. If its illegal to be gay in Germany, under penalty of death, then you sure as hell shouldn't go to Germany if you are gay. Soon it could be illegal to be in Germany if you are Donald Rumsfeld, if this is the case then you better stay the hell out of Germany.

Thats the way it works.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You understand that countries can do this, right?

Germany can pass and enforce any law they want. If its illegal to be gay in Germany, under penalty of death, then you sure as hell shouldn't go to Germany if you are gay. Soon it could be illegal to be in Germany if you are Donald Rumsfeld, if this is the case then you better stay the hell out of Germany.

Thats the way it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that in my house I can do what I want, right?