Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 04:12 PM

Default Re: PSA: Jump rope

wow that dude is incredible
Old 11-03-2006, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not only is it good cardio, it will dramatically effect your vertical leap. Watch trainers who have their clients doing plyometrics, the concepts are very similar to what you do in jumping rope. When I was in my twenties I trasformed my hoops game from the standard white guy stuff to above the rim play by juming rope and taking aerobics classes with my girlfriend (I know, aerobics is kinda gay but it worked).

Measure your VL before you start then jump three-four times a week (any more and your knees will turn to mush) and enjoy the progress.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was your VL before/after if you don't mind me asking? I think I'm around 27-28 inches right now so I can get just about get my whole hand over the rim. I'm starting to do a lot more box jumping type stuff and olympic lifting so hopefully I can get another 6 inches and start dunking!

-SmileyEH
Old 11-03-2006, 06:58 PM

To alleviate the boredom of repetitive jump rope but achieve similar cardio benefits, try DDR.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 PM

I started jumproping a month ago. It's awesome - especially now that it's cold and rainy outside. I'm up to 2:30 jumping, 1:00 rest, repeat 15 times. Eventually I want to get up to 3:00/1:00 x 15. But right now, I usually [censored] up 2-4 times during each set, so it's not 100% continuous at this point. And I still can't do any of that fancy crap yet.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:46 PM

when I went through my jumproping phase I used to do sets of 100-150 jumps or whatever the term is.

4-5 sets and my arms and calves would be tired and I would be sweating like hell.

right now I have a weighted jumprope so its hard to go for very long as my forearms get tired quickly
Old 11-03-2006, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
right now I have a weighted jumprope so its hard to go for very long as my forearms get tired quickly

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought about getting a weighted jumprope, but what I was really going for was quickness and agility in my legs. Honestly though, if someone only had time to "work out" 30mins a day, jumping with a weighted rope is about the simplest full body workout I can imagine.

-SmileyEH
Old 11-03-2006, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought about getting a weighted jumprope, but what I was really going for was quickness and agility in my legs. Honestly though, if someone only had time to "work out" 30mins a day, jumping with a weighted rope is about the simplest full body workout I can imagine.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

true...

the handles are only two pounds and the rope is 1 pound but that extra 5 pounds make it a lot tougher than my old leather jumprope which weighed close to nothing.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:48 AM

Good thread. When I was in high school we used a lot of jumproping in our preseason workouts. Good for coordination and fitness. I havent used one in a long time but I might be inspired to pick one up again.I imagine that using a tabata protocol routine with a jump rope would be very effective.