Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 12:42 PM

Default PSA: Jump rope

With all the posts about losing weight, getting fit and in shape I think this is something not a lot of guys know about. Jump rope is pretty much the best high intensity/low impact cardio in existence. Sure its kind of girly at first and it takes some practice to get the technique, but once you get the footwork and speed down the workout on your calves, shoulders, arms and aerobic fitness is incredible. Between sets of whatever excercise you are doing jump rope for a minute and reap the rewards.

35 double unders

nice technique

badass (10 seconds in)

-SmileyEH
Old 11-03-2006, 12:54 PM

Default Re: PSA: Jump rope

Can anyone recommend a good rope to get?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone recommend a good rope to get?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought this one, but I wouldn't reccomend it for someone just starting out. It is made of a polyeurethane type plastic which is still kind of kinked after a couple months so you need to spin it pretty fast in order for it to assume the parabolic shape and get under your feet easily.

To start off just one of those basic ropes with plastic collars all along it will do fine. Once you get to the point where you can do 50-100 single unders easily and jog in place then look into getting a faster rope with ball bearings. I think you can get the basic ones in any sporting goods store afaik.

-SmileyEH
Old 11-03-2006, 01:02 PM

i agree, jumping rope is excellent
Old 11-03-2006, 01:15 PM

what's a good work out? jump rope for 10 minutes straight? go intense for a minute and then relax for a minute (and do that for 10 minutes?)

unless i'm missing something i can't see myself jumping rope for more than 10 minutes before saying eff this
Old 11-03-2006, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what's a good work out? jump rope for 10 minutes straight? go intense for a minute and then relax for a minute (and do that for 10 minutes?)

unless i'm missing something i can't see myself jumping rope for more than 10 minutes before saying eff this

[/ QUOTE ]

Just do it somewhere you can watch tv.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:19 PM

10 minutes of jumping rope is not as easy as you'd think. what i would do is mix jumping rope in with other exercises.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jumping rope for 10 minutes at a tempo even remotely quick would be an athletic acheivement in itself. I usually start my workout by doing an easy jog/crossovers for a minute, then up the tempo, throw in some side to sides - quick cross overs and finish up with some double unders. All that might take at most 3 minutes (and I'll stop a few times from screwing up), but my heart will be pounding when its done. In between lifts I'll often just go as fast as I can for a minute or work on my footwork. Either way, its high intensity so you don't need to do it for a long time.

The key is that it is easy to keep interesting because of the skill elements. I would die before I did 200 single unders (although technically I can do it), but every day I look forward to working on my technique and trying new stuff.

-SmileyEH
Old 11-03-2006, 01:32 PM

Not only is it good cardio, it will dramatically effect your vertical leap. Watch trainers who have their clients doing plyometrics, the concepts are very similar to what you do in jumping rope. When I was in my twenties I trasformed my hoops game from the standard white guy stuff to above the rim play by juming rope and taking aerobics classes with my girlfriend (I know, aerobics is kinda gay but it worked).

Measure your VL before you start then jump three-four times a week (any more and your knees will turn to mush) and enjoy the progress.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
badass (10 seconds in)

[/ QUOTE ]

This dude on ESPN yesterday said he's a better boxer than Sugar Ray & Ali ever were. Smoke crack lately?