Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: 1 v. 8
A. Jolie 62 83.78%
C. Theron 12 16.22%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2006, 10:11 AM

Default *** Official NCAA Football Week of 9/16 Thread ***

Lots of big games this weekend:

- Iowa State @ (#16) Iowa, 12:00 PM (the only real compelling noon game, IMO, although I'll also be watching Mich. State vs. Pitt)

Then we get:

- (#11) Michigan @ (#2) Notre Dame, 3:30 PM
- (#6) LSU @ (#3) Auburn, 3:30 PM
- (#17) Miami Fl @ (#12) Louisville, 3:30 PM
- (#15) Oklahoma @ (#18) Oregon, 3:30 PM
- (#24) Texas Tech @ (#20) TCU, 5:30 PM

And finally, to wrap up what should be an amazing Saturday:

- (#19) Nebraska @ (#4) USC, 8:00 PM
- (#7) Florida @ (#13) Tennessee, 8:00 PM

Discuss.

I'll begin: <font color="blue"> Go Blue</font>. I've been in South Bend for the last two times (2002 &amp; 2004) we played them there, and that certainly didn't turn out well (despite the fact, IMO, we had vastly superior teams -- particularly in 2004). So I'm staying at home for this one. Hopefully U of M's South-Bend-karma is somehow reversed by my lack of presence in the stadium.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:37 AM

Default Re: *** Official NCAA Football Week of 9/16 Thread ***

Wonderful that we get all those games at one time. I'd get an extra TV in here (two already) but I suspect the wonderful system we have for providing viewers with game will have most of these on ABC regional, so no go.

Since the Michigan-ND game is on NBC, this seems like a great situation for the Charlie Weis Drinking Game (basically, drink when he's on screen, mentioned by name, and whenever he is described as a genius/brilliant, doubly so if it's for something that most/all coaches actually do, like self-scouting.) Seriously, excellent matchup, I think Michigan can get some pressure and stop the run. We'll give up a few big passes, but if that means a few more 3-and-outs and a turnover or two, I can live with it.

Offensively, we have the one thing we've lacked the last two years: a healthy and playing Mike Hart. I'll be praying for his continued health. We better be able to run because that O-line on pass blocking....ick.

I predict a close game, bizarre plays, bounces and calls, and a weird final score like 22-19 or something. In other words, a standard Michigan-ND game.

BTW, what lame-ass marketing name did Gameday come up with for this weekend?
Old 09-15-2006, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, what lame-ass marketing name did Gameday come up with for this weekend?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Seperation Saturday"
Old 09-15-2006, 10:47 AM

Florida vs. Tenn is the game of interest for me. Florida played two teams so far that werent the typical early season cream puffs (Southern Miss, and UCF, both played in bowl games last season FWIW). In the first game, Florida looked a bit mediocre in my mind, but I chalk that up to opening game jitters. Against UCF, Florida looked much more in control. Tenn spanked Cal pretty good in week 1 and then won a squeaker over USAFA last weekend. The key matchup in my mind is UF's young O-line against a tough Tenn defense. As long as Leak gets decent protection and UF can establish some sort of running game they should prevail. I expect Urban Meyer to run more plays to get Leak away from the pass rush. I hope to see true freshman Percy Harvin make some noise. He has sick physical talent and so far in the season has displayed a very good grasp of the game for a true freshman. Also Meyer said to expect more play time for true freshman QB, Tim Tebow, who is quite an athletic talent well. He brings a whole different look to the UF offense and in all honesty is probably a better fit in Meyer's spread option offense. Leak is a very good dropback passer but his running skills are probably slightly better than average. I really like this move by Meyer because it gives that much more for the Vol's defense to worry about.

On the Vol side, UF has to deal with an always punishing UT run game and UT has some very good receivers who are also big and strong. Erik Ainge is a very capable QB. The UF DL is tough and the LB corps is strong as well so hopefully they will be able to contain the UT running game. If UF has a defensive weakness it could be in the secondary. UF is still solid by most standards in the secondary but has a tough matchup against the UT WRs. On defense UT is playing without starting CB "Inky" Johnson and All-SEC DL Justin Harrell is playing with a torn bicep, electing to forego season ending surgery in order to play against UF. The CB loss could be the most significant for UT given the strength of UF's receiving corps.

Interesting factoids about this game:

1) In the past ten seasons the winner of the UF-UT game has gone on to win the SEC East title.

2) The lower-ranked team has won four of the last five and six of the last eight in this series. This year Florida goes into Neyland Stadium ranked higher than UT.

Great weekend for college football and obviously Im quite excited about this game in particular.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wonderful that we get all those games at one time. I'd get an extra TV in here (two already) but I suspect the wonderful system we have for providing viewers with game will have most of these on ABC regional, so no go.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have cable and two or three TVs, you should be okay.

ND vs. UM is on NBC
LSU vs Auburn is on CBS
Texas Tech vs TCU is on OLN (and doesn't start until 5:30)

Conflict:
Miami vs Louisville is on ABC
Oklahoma vs Oregon is also on ABC

^
|
|
So yeah, you'll only be getting one of these two games.

Then at night, USC vs. Nebraska is on ABC while Florida vs. Tennessee is on CBS. I have a two TV setup, so I'll be leaving UM/ND on one TV and then flipping between LSU/Auburn and Miami/Louisville on the other. Once all the 3:30 action is over, I flip to OLN for Mike Leach/Tex Tech/crazy batshit aerial attack vs. TCU game until the 7:30 games present another 3 game/2 TV conflict.

Shouldn't be awful.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:56 AM

These type of Saturdays make me really happy that I married a woman who loves football as much as I do. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2006, 10:58 AM

VR,

Florida are 3.5 point favorites. I know this isn't the Sports Betting forum, and I'm pretty sure you're a big UF fan (correct me if I'm wrong), but in your unbiased opinion, do you like UF to cover? Tennessee's Jekyll/Hyde act so far this season is disconcerting from a bettor perspective and I don't like betting against a home dog in what seems to be a relatively evenly-matched game.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:59 AM

These type of Saturdays make me really happy that I married a woman who doesn't like me that much and doesn't mind not spending time with me.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:59 AM

Speaking of lines, the M-ND line has jumped around from around 7/7.5 down to 4/4.5 in some places. That's pretty unusual, no?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:21 AM

Dvaut,

Yes, big UF fan. Had to think about this one, because Im not a big sports bettor and I am somewhat biased. When you look at the matchups though, I think UF can cover. UT took a big hit in the secondary and Florida's receivers are all good, and most of them have enough experience that they are unlikely to be affected by the atmosphere at Neyland. It is a close matchup but I think it swings in UF's direction just enough. This might actually be a good game to arb if you can find the right lines, but good luck with that. I will say I hate betting games like this that have so many intangibles in play. Some people will point to the perceived weakness of the UF O-line but Meyer, from what I can tell at any rate, is fairly pleased with their performance to date. I think UT has the advantage in that matchup, though its somewhat lessened due to the injury to Harrell. But I think the O-line can slow down the UT line just enough to give Leak some good opportunities.