Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 08-17-2006, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Stars $11r Hand: QQ UTG vs. BB

the flop bet is so small i prob call and see if he has the guts to push a turn bet
but that flop bet is asking to be raised so you're putting yourself in a tough spot
this is why i sometimes check behind these spots (not necessarily recommending that but a 1/3 pot bet vs a decent opponent is begging to be jammed)
Old 08-17-2006, 05:16 AM

With the pot at 9400 and Hero having 8500 behind after calling a flop bet, 'calling down' will usually equal putting your stack on the line...or at least a substantial portion of it. With the villian being this loose, I'd probably go broke here if he put me in.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:43 AM

I really don't think you have to make that small of a bet to get action from smaller pairs, Lloyd. Once you make it, I don't think you can fold to that tiny raise because he's bluffing a large % of the time and playing badly with 88 another large % of the time.

As nath said, against certain players I check behind this flop.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:44 AM

The c/r here is either the nuts or a stone cold bluff. How often has villian made a play like this against other players? I sometimes make this play with nothing, probably more than i should be, since i think more often than not someone who bets the flop on a paired board doesnt have the trips. Most will fold to the c/r too, unless they have AA, no one folds AA.

I dont like just calling here, you are basically pot committed then. I think you either fold or jam it in. Also, I bet more on the flop. 800 just screams weakness and invites a LAG to c/r and try to take the pot right there. Given all that, i think you can safely jam it in here a see the bb fold.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:55 AM

I probably fold to the raise in this spot. I hate continuing when I'm totally lost and he's definitely firing on the turn.

I usually take nath's line and check here to induce worse hands to bluff the turn.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The c/r here is either the nuts or a stone cold bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. I think this is frequently a mid-pair who thinks they are good, and wants to take the pot now. Not saying that is a good line, but you see it a lot.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:28 AM
 is offline

I assume you made that weak flop bet specifically to get Villain to raise you here occasionally with a worse hand. If that was not your intention, then either lead stronger on the flop or check.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:41 AM

I really don't see how anyone is advocating a fold here at all.

1) Your bet looks weak to an average $11R player
2) It's the second hour of an $11R. People don't adjust, they still play too fast with 2nd best hands, et cetera.
3) Betting into this pot with the intentions of folding to a reraise just baffles me
4) Even all of these things notwithstanding, villian could be reraising you with any PP, air, and why in the world would he raise a king? I mean, maybe he's fast playing it, but your bet looks like you whiffed, he's taking advantage of that and raising you. If he thinks you whiffed the flop would he raise with a king here? No, the only possible way he is going to get chips from you if you missed the flop is to let you keep betting into him.

I'd say this is rarely a king, and I don't mind playing for my stack in this situation.

IMO, if he has a king here, good for him but I think folding this to this flop action is weak/tight.

Brad
Old 08-17-2006, 10:10 AM

Call it down, he rarely has a K here. Let him give his money to you.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:15 AM

By the way, there's a point here that I think gets me a lot of chips quite often. Most villains expect you to raise with good but not great hands, having no idea about the WA/WB concept. "Raise and take it down," etc. I am amazed how often a villain in this spot, say holding 99 or something, bets the turn when you call, and then bets the river allowing you to call again.

Being a calling station in the rights spots can be very +EV early in online tournaments. I view Lloyd's hand as just such a spot.