Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 08-06-2006, 03:43 PM

Default Re: HOH3 Problem 1

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying a fold is bad. I'm not saying I'm attacking and pushing the first guy who looks at me the wrong way.

Sometimes I raise, more or less just to disguse real hands I would raise with later and FWIW I've just started experimenting with this again and I have not been real pleased with it.

Sometimes I limp here just to be involved in some cheap pots where I can catch a nice hand and win a big pot or to just work on my reads of the table, or to just give a little action so I can get some action when I do pick up an early hand.

I also will fold here sometimes. Because I don't want to get involved in a multi-way pot with no reads. As always it depends.

I just don't think there is a default play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you haven't been successful with it because it won't work in this situation. You're not disguising anything, being tricky, affecting metagame or whatever. You're spewing chips probably because it's so cool lately to be aggro at the start of a tournament to "accumulate chips." There are places for accumulating chips with this strategy (this is why DN and other pros were playing 80% of the hands at the WSOP this year) but this isn't the place.

Fairly balanced table + crappy hand by any standard + Dan Harrington/ Bill Robertie always start off the HoH books with easy problems = FOLD IT

This book is also marketed to beginners, so that's why this is in here.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:19 PM

Much more challenging is the copyright issue. You obviously can't copyright a hand, or even a particular analysis of a hand. If Card Player publishes, "the chip leader picked a bad time to semi-bluff with his gutshot since his shortstacked opponent appears to be steaming" and you post the exact same idea with slightly different words, I seriously doubt they have an action. If all the problems in the book were eventually posted here, there would be a fascinating case, but I'm not convinced the book publishers would win, unless substantial portions were posted verbatim, or with mild semantic variations. Think of an algebra textbook, with a series of equations and concepts in logical order. Can't copyright the equations or the concepts or the logical order, so the offending version must be extremely close to be actionable.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:58 PM

B. /the reason is because the 3bb raise isn't enough pressure for the blinds to fold. 6BB puts enough pressure to get the blinds. If called, you know you'er lookin at either AA or KK, and if you flop two pair, you're doubling up.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How come "allin" isnt the only option?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-26-2007, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know as I'm reading these, i can't help thinking you are violating some copyright law or something, so be careful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I said what it is from? I'm not claiming it as my own material. You might be right though. Does anyone know the mods real well or the authors and can ask?

[/ QUOTE ]

Otherwise, you could post the whole thing here and no one would need to read/buy their book.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you are quoting less than 5%(?) of the text, for non-commercial purposes and acknowledging the source, it is unlikely to be an infringement of copyright.

It would not be legal to put the whole text online without the permission of the author.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:48 AM

This is absurd, just fold PF 99% of the time cmon!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:03 PM

yea how do u not auto fold here i have the box checked about as soon as i get this hand
Old 07-16-2007, 02:53 PM

1. too early

2. no reads

3. can't count on being in position for best results

4. easy fold.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:22 PM

Anyone who doesn't fold here has a huge leak. I'm sorry; there are situations where it's advisable to work, but this isn't one, and most of the people who advise making moves here simply aren't good enough to do them.