Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Child Raising - Discipline issues

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My friends are floored. They cannot believe my parents raised me this way

[/ QUOTE ]

a shock response really blows my mind, and i have to think that these people are out of touch. people still hit their kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've learned that a few of my close friends were hit when they were little, and every time it shocked me.

I wasn't shocked because of the fact that parents hit their children, I was shocked because kids who I think turned out really well were hit when they were little.

I guess this is probably just because my parents told me a ton of times when I was little that hitting kids is wrong, and it's not a subject that comes up often enough for me to have really come to my own conclusion.

So I don't really have an opinion on the issue, I just have a gut reaction that it's a bad thing. I imagine a lot of other people are the same way.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't shocked because of the fact that parents hit their children, I was shocked because kids who I think turned out really well were hit when they were little.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would wager that a huge majority of baby boomers were hit by their parents. have you considered how many of them turned out really well?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i would wager that a huge majority of baby boomers were hit by their parents. have you considered how many of them turned out really well?

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.

it really wasn't that long ago when it was basically "ok" to reach across the table and smack your wife. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was shocked because kids who I think turned out really well were hit when they were little.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ridiculous. We're not talking about daily brutal beatings here, just occasional slaps/spankings when the kid is really out of line. I highly doubt that alone would ever cause a kid to not "turn out really well" if he would have otherwise.