Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Calzaghe Kessler fight

[ QUOTE ]
Missed this, unfortunately. Did I miss a good fight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Truely awesome technical fight between two fighters who didnt know what it was to lose. JC is a boxing genius, he adapted to kesler so perfectly. I watched a HBO stream and it was gratifying to watch the penny drop on the yank commentators on just how great a boxer jc is.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:49 PM
 is offline

He is something special.

He made a complete boxer with all the fundamentals, in Kessler, look almost one dimensional.

His stamina is pretty unreal as well.
Kessler as it is normal in a long fight occasionally looked tired but Calzaghe on the other hand was just going non stop.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:07 AM

Glad to see there is a thread about this. I had it 8-3-1. While i was watching I kept thinking about poker: Kessler was like a perfect TAG. He wasn't making mistakes and he was making good adjustments. The problem was he was facing a LAG genius who anticipated all his adjustments and took advantage of them as they happened.

After Calzaghe got hit with a couple of huge uppercuts, he did the smart thing and completely switched gears. He basically changed the fight for about two rounds and then 3 rounds into his adjustment he switched back to hyper aggressive lagtard mode.

The guy is just a sick, sick boxing savant with a great heart to boot. It's a shame we don't hear much about him in the U.S. but I think that's about to change.

It's a great time to be a boxing fan.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Glad to see there is a thread about this. I had it 8-3-1. While i was watching I kept thinking about poker: Kessler was like a perfect TAG. He wasn't making mistakes and he was making good adjustments. The problem was he was facing a LAG genius who anticipated all his adjustments and took advantage of them as they happened.

After Calzaghe got hit with a couple of huge uppercuts, he did the smart thing and completely switched gears. He basically changed the fight for about two rounds and then 3 rounds into his adjustment he switched back to hyper aggressive lagtard mode.

The guy is just a sick, sick boxing savant with a great heart to boot. It's a shame we don't hear much about him in the U.S. but I think that's about to change.

It's a great time to be a boxing fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really believe this? I thought it was assumed that the past couple years have been the worst to be a boxing fan?

I see a lot of posters in this thread are from England and Australia, so I feel it necessary to give my opinion on Rugby and Australian Rules Football,as I was watching a match tonight at a bar between Leicester and the Blues... it was awesome, and those guys are nuts; I love it. It's essentially a team of huge men, sans pads, running full speed at one another, just crushing each other. In a vacuum (after subtracting national and team allegiances), it's possibly the best sport to watch after you've been drinking.
Respect.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:22 AM

I wouldnt say its a great time to be a boxing fan but its getting better imo. Hatton-Mayweather and Amir Khan are the two things to look forward to certainly

Hopefully Calzaghe gets all the respect he's due. His performance against Jeff Lacy, giving that he was mocked repeatedly saying this was his first real opponent and he was a slapper, and his responce should have gotten more props worldwide rather than just here

He started out slow but showed his true class as a boxer and a athlete in the end and will probably retire in a year unbeaten.

Best boxer in the world atm imo
Old 11-04-2007, 05:03 AM

Compared to how it has been to be a boxing fan, yes now is a great time to be one. Pavlik and Taylor was an excellent fight. Cotto-Mosley should be a good one. Hatton-Mayweather is another.

The aftermath of all of these big fights will mean more big fights and there are enough quality fighters in these welter/middle weight classes to keep having big match-ups for a few years.

Something similar happened years ago when De LaHoya, Mosley, Trinidad, Quartey, and Vargas were all unbeaten and they all fought each other over the span of a few years.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:43 PM

Its just the heavyweight division that is lame, and that is often perceived as the pinnicle of the sport. The top heavyweights these days are just increasingly heavy and slow.

Its a good time to be a boxing fan if you look past heavyweights imo
Old 11-04-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent analogy. This was actually the first time I have seen Kessler fight, and I was impressed. Technically awesome. He also seemed like a cool guy and was very forthright post-fight.