Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Mario Strikers Charged strategy discussion

Pretty much all of my frivolous free time is spent playing this game. I'm rather addicted to it.

After the brag thread, I thought I would start a thread for strategy discussion.

Here's how I play:
Wario or Bowser Jr. up top, bones on each wing, toad in the back. My strategy changes by opponent but I usually have a quick-strike approach. I have 3 fast guys so I can often get hits and steals and quickly create a reasonable chance at the other end. I probably am about 50/50 on goals by bones mostly with the deke and wario with the shot. It depends of course on which stadium it is and the opponent.

By far the toughest opponent for me is someone who has a big shooter up top to whom they use the lob pass for the shot. I do fairly good job of getting into position to pass the ball clear when they do this, and when it works I often create a chance of my own, but I do frequently get caught out and they get good shots. Other than these guys and people who use a very similar style to mine, I tend to do ok. Guys who use the boo deke to score a lot do give me some headaches as well.

One exception is games at the Sand Tomb. I have a lot of problems there. I think it's by design. The sand tomb is pretty much the perfect counter to my strategy because you can't make runs down the wings with bones very well. That field is designed for teams with good passing and shooting. There I try to just charge the ball and get it to Wario to shoot or dry bones for the skill shot. The dump also sucks somewhat. I do ok there but I also hate playing at the wasteland. It's extremely frustrating.

I used to play with boo, bones, hammer, and luigi before getting completely destroyed by someone who used a power guy up top with 3 bones. I could get nothing going whatsoever and decided to try it out even though it felt gimmicky playing with 3 bones. I decided that Wario was the best option because of his passing ability in addition to the big shot. This would help the bones get deke goals. Later I switched in toad because most of my weakness in the back is the lob passes which toad does just as well with. Having a playmaker back there helps me hit them on the break better.

I'd be interesting in hearing thoughts from others on how they play and maybe we can share ideas on how to beat certain types of people.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Mario Strikers Charged strategy discussion

Also, here are some individual things I often see and have some trouble with.

- The toad run to the corner deke into the goalie passing at the last second or letting the ball come out play. The ball often goes to an attacker who basically has an empty goal. Only way I can find to really stop this is to try to hit anybody near the goal or obviously stop toad before he gets there. It's tough though because if you go for him and miss you're in a bad spot.

- Boo deke-shot. A couple guys (maybe the same guy a couple times?) just get the ball to boo on the wing and move around just in front of the goal until you get out of position and go in. He's fast and they've practiced so it can be tough to stop. Other than just try to stay disciplined and let him come to me that's about all I can do. This strategy is right up there with hammer spamming as the most annoying in the game. The guys that can score a high % of the time with the boo deke-shot are extremely tough to beat and the guys that just go for it over and over are super annoying.

- Bones or waluigi bumping it forward down the wing for the deke in. I use this a fair bit as it's extremely difficult to stop once they get ahead of you. I think the key is that when you see them doing this play the angle so you meet them in the corner.

- charge and deke with mario et al or boo. This is tough to stop and you have to just try to get where their deke will land them and hit or tackle them. Luck seems to be a big factor.

Deke Spamming:
Hammer - obviously wait until just after the smash to hit them though it can be hard if you're having trouble with the timing. This can be extremely frustrating, especially if it's on a strange field like the ship. I think here having several fast guys helps a ton. Also, this is a great time to use your items if you have them.

- Wario, DK, Petey, are basically the same as above.

- Toad, Diddy jumping. I'm not too sure what to do here. I just try to get where they will land and hit them or tackle.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:32 AM

I'm glad someone else loves this game as much as I do. I am by no means unbeatable in it as evidenced by my 60-20 record (most games i ever played), however i always try to keep a 3:1 ratio.

Here are some tips that I use:

If you are a fast captain, in the beginning of the game go up to the ball, but dont take it, most people will tackle you and you get a free item (sometimes a captain item)

You run faster without the ball and it gets charged as well so if your good with it you can use Z + Bones for some nice scoring dekes.

I almost never hit, i usually have 5 or less.

I use items + a person guaranteed to score thats why i like birdo so much.

If someone does a Bones charged up shot on me I always tackle them since I feel giving items is better then letting them score (ive also seen people run behind the goalie and pass the ball in midair).

I think i use all items very well and that is where most of my wins come from.

Things I need to improve on. Aerial passes, i am so bad at stopping people from spamming them that I have to resort to hitting the power hitters (only time i get a lot of hits).

I also need to overall improve my ability to intercept them even when they are not spammed.

My favorite thing to do is scoring in around 4-5 seconds using diddys deke. I also like his captains item.

Team Progression:

1.Peach-Birdo-Bones-Boo
2.Peach-Birdo-Bones-Koopa
3.Diddy (thanks to another player in a thread in bbv4life) -Birdo-Bones-Bones

I dont think im going to change this team as i feel i know them very well, and how to use them.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:27 PM

I just got a Wii with this game and am tbh am overwhelmed by all the discussion in this thread...I guess this isn't a regular soccer game? Oops!

I played one game online and got raped 4-0 3-1 (with Waluigi, Boo, Hammer Bros, and...forget, the mole dude maybe?) so I guess I have some work to do cause I hate losing. I had a really difficult time getting skill shots off (and apparently megastrikes are impossible online cause human opponents never give you enough time) and I'm not really sure what the key is to making "regular" shots have a better chance at going in. I think I play alright defense and was keeping my opponent off the ball a lot (I had 67% possession at the end) but a lot of his goals came from shots in the corner (where he had absolutely no angle on the goal, wtf) or from lobbing it up and getting really fast shots off.

Can any of you offer some basic strategy tips for a total beginner?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:39 PM

Read the manual. I think it talks about how to charge up the ball and how a charged ball is more likely to go in, especially with a player with high shooting stats.

If you haven't yet, go thru the story/tournament mode. Especially with a friend. Makes it much easier. (Took 4 people for us to be able to beat the final boss.. ask Ryan Beal, he was there) Also go thru the strategy sections. Even somewhat seasoned players can learn a bit there.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read the manual. I think it talks about how to charge up the ball and how a charged ball is more likely to go in, especially with a player with high shooting stats.

If you haven't yet, go thru the story/tournament mode. Especially with a friend. Makes it much easier. (Took 4 people for us to be able to beat the final boss.. ask Ryan Beal, he was there) Also go thru the strategy sections. Even somewhat seasoned players can learn a bit there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree go through the tutorial and at least the first two cups. Charging up the ball is key as even crappy shooters like boo sometimes get it in, while good shooters have a high chance, charging also affects some dekes (dry bones for example).

You will need to use items/captains items to get a megastrike off and even then its not automatic.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:35 AM

Man, single player is [censored] weak once the difficulty goes up!

I mean, they couldn't make it harder by, say, having the other team play better...no, they have to make it so that I get a 6 ball green megastrike and EVERY SINGLE ONE GETS BLOCKED ASDIOFAOPSDI and it takes like 20 seconds for a freaking skillshot to charge up and the AI gets either a star or their captain's superpower every single time I [censored] hit them ioasdhapsdfh asdifh apsosdaf 89

Anyway, the manual was really no help at all, I'm just kinda winging it. My cup team is Waluigi in front, Dry Bones and Shy Guy in the middle, and Birdo in back. I think it might be a better idea to switch Birdo and Dry Bones but otherwise it's working pretty well I think; all three have sick powerful skillshots and three of my four guys are 10s on defense (and Shy Guy is 6) so I think it's a very good combo on both ends of the pitch.

Stuff I need to work on: I never, ever deke, so I need to figure out how to work that into my game. tbh that's probably what's getting me killed once the difficulty is cranked up, cause my guys get hit instantly every time they touch the ball.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:27 PM

Reading some stuff on Gamefaqs I also I realized I never:
- Lob pass
- Charge the ball
- Slide tackle

How important are each of these things? I know charging the ball is pretty important for getting non-skillshots/megastrikes to go in...it also seems that good passers charge the ball more easily. Sadly, the team I outlined above has zero good passers. Is that a gaping hole in my team, or are there other ways of charging?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:55 PM

Okay, I will preface this with the fact that I have yet to play online, but have beat Striker Cup/all but 1 or 2 of the challenges.

I think if you switch shy guy for boo (and learn to use the boo deke, which is redic), then you have a solid team. Boo's passing, speed, and deke make him pretty much a must have IMO.

Charging the ball is huge for using dry bones and waluigi's dekes to their fullest potential.

Lob passes become useful later on in the Striker cup when skill shots are harder to get off. Lobbing to Birdo/any skilled shooter for a one-timer with a charged ball will lead to many goals.

I slide tackle alot to avoid giving items (which are obv. rigged).