Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 08-13-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Hamsting pull - how long will this [censored] hurt?

In typical "I'm not as young as I used to be" fashion, I was hitting the workout too hard after recovering from sacroiliac problems and pulled my right hamstring. Chiro says it's somewhat common and tightness in the legs probably had something to do with my back issues, but w/e. General practitioner said it is a level 2 pull/strain and recommended taking lots of aleve.

Either way, it's been 5 weeks now and this thing is barely any better then it was when it first happened. In the a.m. I can barely get into my car without it feeling like someone is tearing my upper hammy apart with a filet knife. I have been icing it regularly at night, and keep it wrapped all day long, as recommended. I was told not to stretch the hamstring yet, but to stretch the quads and groin so I have been doing that.

If I look online I see about 50 different conflicting ways to handle this, some say stretch and others don't. Some say start exercising soon, others say don't. I'd love to hear from someone that has gone thru this if possible.

FWIW, I am 40, 6'3", 200 lbs and while my cardio shape is not great (due to lack of doing anything while my back was out), I am not a couch potato. I coached 5 nights a week of 11-12 little league all spring, and pee wee football much of the summer now. While I am coaching I can move and somewhat run without much if any pain, it's rest (esp sitting, then standing) that really kills me.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Hamsting pull - how long will this [censored] hurt?

this might a tear. which takes about 3 months to heal.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Hamsting pull - how long will this [censored] hurt?

Jeez, I can't believe I misspelled hamstring. What a dope.
Anyway, the doc and chiro were both pretty convinced it was not a tear, but I have no idea how they knew that.