Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 04:22 PM

Default My first shot at HU NL cash

Ok so i'm a 6 max player thats trying to get into heads up and I think i'm doing ok but I know I have some major leaks and theres one or 2 types of opponents I really dont feel comfortable playing. First off heres my stats for the last couple days:

Shot at 2007-08-11

Positional stats

Shot at 2007-08-11

I know i'm playing weak a lot of the time with certain opponents but is there anything you can tell me that i'm doing wrong just from these stats?

A couple situations I know i'm not comfortable with:

-Guys that constantly limp the button with good and bad hands and call down with ace high or monsters all the same or just just bet like half pot on all streets when they in position, I dunno just playing them tilts me in itself. (sounds stupid and maybe i was just tilt that day), I can just never get the pot big enough with my strong hands.

-Playing hands like weak aces and suited aces to aggro ish guys who's range you know you beat but you can 3 bet them cos the hand just isnt good enough (A8o A6ss type hands)...what do you guys do? just fold or call and c/f a whiffed flop? CR a really dry board?

-Playing out of position in general to guys that like to double and sometimes triple barrel.

I'm really enjoying HU compared to 6 max because my 6 max game was getting very boring and some days sessions didnt even swing up or down a single buy in. HU was treating me really well until yesterday when I wanted to smash my computer screen and cut my wrists with the debris. I'll post a few of these to amuse some of you:

My absolute fave

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 2 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (BB): $634.45
SB: $230.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB raises to $3.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $11.00</font>, SB calls $8.00

Flop: ($22) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $16.50</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $50.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $623.45</font>, SB calls all-in for $169.00
Uncalled bet of $0.00 returned to Hero

Turn: ($460) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

River: ($460) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Pot Size: $460.00 ($0.50 Rake)

SB had 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (a straight, Seven high) and LOST (-$0.25)
Hero had 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (a straight, Seven high) and LOST (-$0.25)

Not a beat but sick setup for HU

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 2 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

BB: $113.90
Hero (SB): $751.45

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $3.00</font>, BB calls $2.00

Flop: ($6) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4.50</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $9.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $30.00</font>, BB calls $21.00

Turn: ($66) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets all-in for $718.45</font>, BB calls all-in for $80.90
Uncalled bet of $0.00 returned to Hero

River: ($227.80) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Pot Size: $227.80 ($0.50 Rake)

BB had 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Threes) and WON (+$113.40)
Hero had K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, Kings and Eights) and LOST (-$113.90)

So what if he was a half stack..he was trying to push me off a hand with hardly any FE and that hurt more

Hero (BB): $92.30
SB: $43.90

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB raises to $2.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $9.00</font>, SB calls $6.50

Flop: ($18) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $12.00</font>, <font color="red">SB raises all-in to $34.90</font>, Hero calls $22.90

Turn: ($87.80) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

River: ($87.80) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $87.80 ($0.50 Rake)

SB had Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (a flush, Queen high) and WON (+$43.40)
Hero had K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, Kings and Nines) and LOST (-$43.90)

This one hurt at the time but I came back and took 4 buy ins off him after i cooled down.

BB: $148.80
Hero (SB): $461.35

Preflop: Hero is dealt 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $3.00</font>, BB calls $2.00

Flop: ($6) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4.50</font>, BB calls $4.50

Turn: ($15) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $15.00</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $30.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $453.85</font>, BB calls all-in for $111.30
Uncalled bet of $312.55 returned to Hero

River: ($297.60) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Pot Size: $297.60 ($0.50 Rake)

BB had T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pair, Kings and Eights) and WON (+$148.30)
Hero had 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (two pair, Kings and Eights) and LOST (-$148.80)

Same guy, his very first hand against me ever

BB: $100.00
Hero (SB): $519.95

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $3.00</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $9.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $31.00</font>, BB calls $22.00

Flop: ($62) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets all-in for $488.95</font>, BB calls all-in for $69.00
Uncalled bet of $419.95 returned to Hero

Turn: ($200) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

River: ($200) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Pot Size: $200.00 ($0.50 Rake)

BB had 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (a full house, Eights full of Fours) and WON (+$99.50)
Hero had K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, Kings and Fours) and LOST (-$100.00)

Just browsing through my database I noticed i'm getting stacked a ton, i'm also new to HU so it prob just seems a lot more.

Anyway this is dragging, if anyone has any advice for me from reading this post i'd appreciate, thanks guys, and as I learn more about HU i'll try and contribute more to this forum but at the moment i'm just pulling straws myself

GL at the tables
Old 08-11-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Re: My first shot at HU cash

Looks like you're doing good ... as a 6max player who is switching to HUTRN, what stakes were you playing at (and winning I'd guess) before you jumped to 100NL HU?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:20 PM

The same stakes..100nl...I played a couple hundred hands of 50nl HU just to get the feel for it...maybe like 800 hands but playing 100nl at the same time.

btw what does HUTRN stand for?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:22 PM

Heads-Up tournament. Usually people say NLTRN for NL tournament or SnG.

Careful with 100nl if you've only got a bankroll of 2k-3k, it's much swingier than 6max and can shred up a bankroll pretty fast.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:03 PM

nah i'm rolled for 200nl..just a BR nit

And yeah its def much swingier than 6 max but its actually what i'm looking for, playing well and only winning a buy in or 2 at 6 max gets a bit boring.

Anybody spot something wrong with those stats, obv the winrate is decent but thats not why I posted it, I feel like I have major leaks and my game can def be improved. I will be seeking out coaching in the near future but just wanted to check if theres anything I can work on by myself before taking that route.

Also if theres any 100nl/200nl HU regs that ever wanna chat poker over aim, feel free to pm me for my aim name.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:13 PM

decent?
you are running hotter than hell right now. enjoy it.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:30 AM

in the bb, you're only calling 22% of the time and you're losing most pots even when you do call. that said you're still up 12bb/100 in the bb, so yeah you're running pretty well

nice first 8k hands though
Old 08-12-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Re: My first shot at HU NL cash

You've got the basics down, looks like.

Play some more hands in both positions.

Reraise more from BB.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:02 AM

Default Re: My first shot at HU NL cash

Thank you for the replies eveybody, I was hoping for a response like this.

Sorry if these questions are stupid

So winning from the big blind is not common?

I thought a winrate of 10-12ptbb/100 was standard in HU..not the case?

I agree that I am uncomfortable playing from the bb with a wide variety of hands, but its something i'll have to work on while I get more hands under my belt.

I know things arent as clean cut to explain like 6 max is most of the time but what should I be looking to 3 bet on top of my range already if you say 3 bet more from the bb, and to what type of opponent? (what should his pfr raise % be before I start 3 betting a hand like 910o or something?)

If the fact that everyone is saying i'm running hot is because I win from the bb then fair enough, but to be honest it doesnt feel like i'm running hot at all, unless you count people stacking off with 2nd and 3rd pair running hot. Maybe i've just table selected well, which isnt really true cos I dont know anybody, I just sit at a table and play anyone that joins but who knows I might have been lucky in that respect.

Anyway thanks for the replies so far everyone