Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2006, 05:22 PM

Default c/r after defending w/weak overs

Villain has sat down not too long ago, and has been caught bluffing already. Only have 29 hands, but over them he's 62/24/3.71, with 54% attempt to steal. I know the sample size is nothing, but clearly he's not afraid to bet/raise.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
3 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4.33SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">Button bets</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4.17BB, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, <font color="red">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8.17BB, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, <font color="red">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 12.17BB

Usually I'm giving up on the flop, and waiting for another opportunity, but every once in a while I'll do something like this (and also frequently c/r when I catch a piece). What do you guys think about this flop play? OK once in a while? Burning money?

I'm most interested in the flop, but included the rest of the hand in case there are any comments on the later streets.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:26 PM

Default Re: c/r after defending w/weak overs

gross, but the exact same way I play it

you have good backdoor draws and 2 overcards - I like the flop
Old 03-07-2006, 06:14 PM

C/r a flop which he likely missed is a good thing to do once in a while. Especially if you have some draws.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:18 PM

How often has Villain shown down? I.E., what's the apparent likelihood of pushing him off an A or small pair?

It's possible, though somewhat unlikely, that you have enough equity to raise for value on the flop even without any fold equity (but that would assume we're planning to show down UI a lot). I prefer to just check/call vs this sort of guy -- we've got a couple overs and a couple backdoor draws and Villain will almost certainly keep firing. We can reevaluate as we go.

The way the turn and river came down, I like a check/call, check/call, bet/call line. The A is somewhat likely to have hit him, and it's a good bluffing card if not. Our flush will often be good so we don't want the river checking through, and this guy seems LAGro enough to raise a worse hand on the river.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How often has Villain shown down? I.E., what's the apparent likelihood of pushing him off an A or small pair?

It's possible, though somewhat unlikely, that you have enough equity to raise for value on the flop even without any fold equity (but that would assume we're planning to show down UI a lot). I prefer to just check/call vs this sort of guy -- we've got a couple overs and a couple backdoor draws and Villain will almost certainly keep firing. We can reevaluate as we go.

The way the turn and river came down, I like a check/call, check/call, bet/call line. The A is somewhat likely to have hit him, and it's a good bluffing card if not. Our flush will often be good so we don't want the river checking through, and this guy seems LAGro enough to raise a worse hand on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the sample size is pretty small, but he didn't show down that often. As much because he folded people out as he folded himself. He won 2 out of the 5 showdowns. I don't think I would have pushed him off an ace or small pair, but if not ahead, he of course likely has lots of outs. From what I saw, I might have been able to show this down UI, but I see what you mean about a c/c line vs this type.

If I would have c/c the flop, I would have c/c the turn and b/c the river. The flop decision kind of dictated how the rest of the hand would be played given the turn and river cards.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C/r a flop which he likely missed is a good thing to do once in a while. Especially if you have some draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was thinking, but I'm usually not so good at out-LAGging LAGs.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:32 PM

I like the way you played it. Especially against a player who could possibly have anything.

With my luck he'd show me J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was thinking, but I'm usually not so good at out-LAGging LAGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

out-LAGging LAGs is indeed very difficult. This flop c/r line works very well against (weak) TAGs.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:35 PM

I don't like a flop check raise here. Your opponent is a nutso LAG. You aren't going to get him to lay down a better hand with out firing on the turn + river so pushing him off A high is expensive. And no worse hands will call you down.

I'd check-call the flop &amp; turn, bet-call the river.