Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Playing stud religiously...

I've played a lot of stud before (mainly .5/1 and now 1/2). I find that these levels are full of donkeys and just overall bad. I've gone on swings where I win 200 and lose 200 in a matter of an hour. It basically matters when variance decides to kick me in the bum. Do any of you play stud exclusively? I enjoy stud, but not the swings. The bonuses (FPP) are nice, and if I can avoid getting screwed over too often, I feel I can make a good profit. What advice would you offer to someone looking to profit at stud on how to play in a general sense?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Playing stud religiously...

I switched to Stud before before quitting for a while as I was getting married, I came back after spending my bankroll on my wedding/honeymoon and consequently only have a small bankroll. I've been playing .5/1 for the last week or so. I think I'm 90 or so BB in the red at this point. In the past I've been on big upswings and big downswings. In terms of play you can only really play a good game and hope that the cards are kind rather than cruel. Against the donkeys you do have a big edge so long term you should win at a good rate but it will be a scary ride most likely and sometimes it might feel like you'll never win a hand again. The balance is that when you run hot the bankroll grows really fast.

I think Stud is the hardest of poker games, it takes more skill to play it well but this isn't really what makes it difficult, in fact that just means the potential is there to get a bigger edge. What makes stud difficult is that downswings can be absolutely brutalising and you need the mental and emotional strength to hold your nerve and keep playing your game during those times.

I'd guess if you can become a really good stud player you can master any form of Poker, it's the single most challenging game which is what attracts me to it.

If you hate variance you could of course try Stud/8 instead of Hi. If you carry on playing Stud read 7CSFAP to hone your game.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 AM

Stud and stud only, no razz, no stud/8. Its handreading, pure and simple.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:44 AM

You should probably avoid Party at .5/1 and 1/2, the high ante will only increase your variance as you are forced to play more marginal hands.

Also I wonder how much hand reading will help with players who may have any 3 cards and cannot even be guaranteed to be able to read other players boards.