Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 02-01-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Re: TOP: Obviously, tough players beat weak players

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The second is that at the lower limits the blinds aren't going to eat your bankroll so fast that you can't afford to play a tighter game, keeping in mind the need to occassionally change speeds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this isn't true. When Slansky talks about game structure, he is talking about the size of the antes (or blinds) in relation to the bet sizes. In the case of NL, the bet size is capped only by the amount of money in play, therefore the comparison that is important is effective stack size compared to blind size. This is not really relevant, because it also means that implied odds goes way up as well as stack sizes go up. So he is really talking about ante structure in a fixed limit betting game (10-20 7stud with a $1 ante and $5 bring in, versues 10-20 stud with a $.50 ante and $2 bring in play very differently).

1-2 NL with $200 stacks has the same exact structure as $10000-$20000 NL with $2,000,000 stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit: Oh and if you only thought that there were two things relevant to SSNL you should probably re-read the book starting from the beginning.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:13 PM

smart players can make the necessary adjustments against weak opponents quickly. this is a skill you develop as you play more and more hands. for someone to be winning long term at 1knl i would venture to say that they have developed this skill to a high enough level that dropping down won't mess up their game much if it does at all. give them a few hundred hands to get used to the opponents at the table and they should be able to exploit any tendencies and weaknesses that their opponents have.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:32 PM

I'm taking this opportunity to re-read it. I meant specifically relevant to SSNL from the first four chapters and only in as much as the blinds wouldn't eat the bankroll too quickly while playing a tighter game. However, I admittedly know very little and I read TOP way too early in my pokerlife to have benefitted from it much. Thanks for ante size versus blind size for NL discussion. It's the reason I'm here.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:11 PM

The higher the stakes, the higher the general skill level the average player will have. Taking this greater skill level down to a lower level where the players aren't generally as skilled, and taking the time to adjust, will basically guarantee that you win long-term in the lower stakes provided you can win in the higher ones. End of story.