Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Rule addition to cut down on diving/fake injuuries in soccer

[ QUOTE ]

he fell to avoid the contact that guy was about to sweep his leg then instead of staying down whining he got right back up proof that he isnt a faker and plays 100% and continues the play anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

I get into Messi and Barcelona etc. But if you're going to cite LM as an example of a pure, untainted player you're off. I like the fact that he passes on some good opportunities to dive. But his delayed wallow in last year's Champ League and his horrific intentional handball in the Primera late this year are hardly works of beauty.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a player lies on the ground apparently injured for > 10 seconds (whenever the ref. sees him can be the start point), then the player must spend at least 5 minutes on the sidelines.

If a player is carried off the field in a stretcher, then he must spend 10 minutes on the sidelines.

[/ QUOTE ]

The referee can already choose to do this. Under the current rules, if the player needs time to get off the field due to injury or "injury", the refereee decides when he comes back.

Similarly for diving, the rules allow the referee to show yellows for diving.

The issue is not that the rules need changing. The issue is that referees don't prioritize "simulation" as a problem to solve. The diving and faking can be entirely eliminated if the referee cards dives and leaves fakers on the sideline with their trainers for several minutes. As long as referees reward the divers, they will dive.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
op, good ideas. make total sense.

lm, have you ever played sports? have you ever been knocked to the ground yet uninjured?

ledders, if the player is injured he can be subbed immediately. quite simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

not all players are injured so bad that they have to go off immediately. u cant come back on like u can in nfl. if u get studs in the shins/ankle it hurts like [censored] (as i know all too well) and u can barely walk for 30-45 secs, but after a bit of treatment ur fine.
so ur saying that i have to wait 10 mins to come back on or summin?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:42 PM

part of why I never liked soccer....it is like watching a bunch of pussies who just fall down and pretend they are hurt so much...while sure sometimes it hurts like [censored] they cry way too much still
Old 07-12-2007, 02:51 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

i think people overestimate how much diving is actually going on. when youre running full speed and someone just touches your foot it is pretty easy to go down. A rewatch in slow motion usually doesnt give one an appreciation for this. but yeah, in the box it is a problem. c. ronaldo's dive earlier this year being a good example. I just think players like messi get called a diver a lot when they are running full speed and drawing contact, which to me isnt really a dive. There are many other players in this same boat. I guess if a player is a "good" enough actor it is hard to tell the difference between a dive and a legitimate foul.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:09 PM

a decent % of dives are miss calls by the ref because of how fast the freaking game is, so they do miss a decent amount of calls.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kinda like the football rule that a stoppage in time due to injury means that player has to sit out the next play. I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hijack, but the NFL rule is way too lax. One play is not nearly enough of a deterrent to stop guys from faking injuries against a hurry-up offense.

It should have been changed years ago when Willie McGinnest blatantly faked an injury against the Colts and then made the game ending tackle at the goal line seconds later, and celebrated by sprinting to midfield. The most interesting part of it was that in the reply of the "injury" you could see Ty Law faking an injury as well but then he suddenly stops when he realizes that McGinnest is already doing it, making it clear that the Patriots had been coached to abuse this rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are charged a time-out under 2 minutes if you are injured, fake or not. If you are out of timeouts I think they run time off the clock or something to stop this. Ie. this isn't an option anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are charged a timeout if you have one. If you don't have one, then the player must leave the game for 1 play. There is no time runoff because it wouldn't make any sense. Why would the offensive team want a time runoff?

Faking an injury to get everyone else on your team time to rest and go to the sideline for coaching/water remains very much an option in the NFL.