Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 08:59 PM

Default What do you think of this river bet???

I was cautious here, because there were higher straights out there, but maybe that's not such a good idea, to be cautious here. thoughts???
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($98.15)
SB ($68.85)
BB ($159.65)
UTG ($118.35)
Hero ($116.40)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $4</font>, BB calls $3, Hero calls $3.

Flop: ($12) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $4</font>, BB calls $4, Hero calls $4.

Turn: ($24) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $5</font>, BB calls $5, Hero calls $5.

River: ($39) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $7</font>, BB calls $7, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $17</font>, SB calls $10, BB folds.

Final Pot: $80
Old 06-24-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: What do you think of this river bet???

raise preflop

fold or raise flop

because the pot is so small, you can raise more and still fold to a push on the river, so do that.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:14 PM

I never open limp.
I fold flop,you have like 3 clean outs.

On one side, you should be aware a queen beats you, but the way they played it doesn't seem like they have it. I think you should either check behind against tricky opponents, or raise a bit more, say 30.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop

Why would i do that in MP when these hands so seldom come in to any money???

fold or raise flop

Why would i raise when all i have is a gutshot here?

because the pot is so small, you can raise more and still fold to a push on the river, so do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i think i under bet the river , just wanted to confirm that.....do others agree on that????

see my questions in the box....cant get the format right here....ty
Old 06-24-2007, 09:42 PM

Do not open limp you are throwing away money. Standard play by aggressive/good opponents is to raise/punish limpers. The reason you are limping is because your hand is not that good... good players know this and will raise a variety of hands making you play your marginal hand at a higher price than you wanted to oop. Don't limp then call four when raising gives you the advantage by being the aggressor and also disguises your hand. The less hands you play oop the less tricky decisions you will get yourself into the more you will profit. As played, fold the flop: you have a gutshot on a two tone flop, even if you catch your 9 QJ is the better straight and the flush also crushes you.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do not open limp you are throwing away money. Standard play by aggressive/good opponents is to raise/punish limpers. The reason you are limping is because your hand is not that good... good players know this and will raise a variety of hands making you play your marginal hand at a higher price than you wanted to oop. Don't limp then call four when raising gives you the advantage by being the aggressor and also disguises your hand. The less hands you play oop the less tricky decisions you will get yourself into the more you will profit. As played, fold the flop: you have a gutshot on a two tone flop, even if you catch your 9 QJ is the better straight and the flush also crushes you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your thoughtful input. I see that raising is better, if i want to play the hand anyway. The reason i called the flop is because it was cheap and a gutshot has huge deception; people just don't believe you would make that flop call to a gutshot. Once the turn card hit, i had an open ender...and so it went. I know i only had 6 outs due to the flush, so you are absolutely right in folding on the flop. Sometimes.....(i'm being kind here, to myself) i make mistakes. thanks again, and good luck out there.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:40 PM

I totally agree with carnival. Limping in a 6-max game is generally weak poker and flat calling the flop bet isn't a very strong play either.