Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 02-21-2006, 10:16 AM

Default Good news

There may be hope for rational thought after all This organization has gone out of business. This is the most gratifying thing I've seen since the Pennsylvania school board that tried to mandate the teaching of intelligent design was voted out.

For those of you too lazy to follow the link, the business in question conducted tours of the Grand Canyon with a young earth creationist explanation of the geology, which would have you belive that Noah's Flood laid down 4,000 feet of sediment and then carved the Grand Canyon through it, and of course, all that sediment turned to rocd in just a few thousand years.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Good news

Personally, I don't see why you guys get so worked up over this stuff -- it's obvious that people believe what they want to believe. We're not immune to it here, either -- just look at the thread on "race."
Old 02-21-2006, 12:05 PM

Don't you think it's a shame that there are people so stupid out there?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:24 PM

If someone chooses to believe that the Bible is right and scientific evidence is irrelevant, that's their personal choice, and I don't have a problem with it. When they use pseudoscientific arguments to try to support it and try to get that pseudoscientific trash taught in schools, I havea big problem with it.

If you believe an omnipotent God created the earth, he could have created it any damn way he wanted to, complete with the sediments, fossils, radioisotopes, etc. that make it appear to be much older than it really is. Therefore, I think if you believe, as a matter of faith, that the creation story in the Bible is literally true, and that biblical evidence demands a creation date only about 6,000 years in the past, it's silly to try to refute scientific evidence.

The stuff most creationists (especially young earth creationists) come up with to try to refute the scientific interpretation is so silly that it actually undermines their position.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:22 PM

I don't know any person who believes in a young earth. I don't think the bible says this either. So you are referring to a minority of people who have taken on beliefs of others without questioning them.
I completely agree - it's silly to try to refute scientific evidence. Unless of course the 'scientific' conclusions are in fact incorrect.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know any person who believes in a young earth. I don't think the bible says this either. So you are referring to a minority of people who have taken on beliefs of others without questioning them.
I completely agree - it's silly to try to refute scientific evidence. Unless of course the 'scientific' conclusions are in fact incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

godboy,

This is how you appear to look reasonable and with a modicum of intelligence and knowledge! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Or am I wrong about you, you also accept commmon ancestry between apes and humans and you are not anti-evolutionist?