Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Dolphins hire Cam Cameron (SD OC) as new head coach

I know, well I didn't know Bugel was there before Houck. Neither is there now and the line didn't seem to falter any despite a rookie LT.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know, well I didn't know Bugel was there before Houck. Neither is there now and the line didn't seem to falter any despite a rookie LT.

[/ QUOTE ]

They fell off a bit last year when we replaced Houck with Carl Mauck, but then they improved under highly regarded John Henry this year. It's hard to quantify much credit goes to Cameron and how much to our solid string of offensive line coaches and to AJ Smith/John Butler for locating and develop offensive line prospects in the mid to late rounds of the draft(Marcus McNeill in the 2nd excepted).
Old 01-20-2007, 04:17 AM

my first reaction as a fins fan is that i think i am happy with the pick. Although i do agree the playcalling was awful in that playoff game, san diego still wins if they dont turn the ball over 3 times

Saban seemed unhappy since the day he got here. At least this guy wants to be a head coach
Old 01-20-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, CC is the guy who underutilized the league's best player in his franchise's most important game in a long time and they make him a head coach? Sure you can't judge him on one game after they had a very successful offense all season but I wouldn't be wicked excited about this hire if I was a fan of the Dolphins.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to say something. LDT is not the league's best player. The NFL's best player wears a Colts uniform.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cato June ftw.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, CC is the guy who underutilized the league's best player in his franchise's most important game in a long time and they make him a head coach? Sure you can't judge him on one game after they had a very successful offense all season but I wouldn't be wicked excited about this hire if I was a fan of the Dolphins.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to say something. LDT is not the league's best player. The NFL's best player wears a Colts uniform.

[/ QUOTE ]

Booger McFarland baby!!
Old 01-20-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Saying Tomlinson is the best player is ridiculous. His first season as coordinator was Tomlinson's second season.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-20-2007, 01:05 PM

you can make a good argument that this or 02 was his best season.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:37 AM

Stop hijacking a good thread with stupid Tomlinson>Manning, Manning>Tomlinson crap.

I really wish they could've gotten Russ Grimm. Too bad he (and everyone else) thought he was a lock for the Steeler's job.

This will be interesting. We'll find out whether SD's offense was a product of a good OC or vice versa. Easy to make a case either way. But even if it's the former, he still may not be a great head coach.

[ QUOTE ]
anyone taking that job is just getting hired to be fired in 3-4 years anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I think Huizinga really wants a long-term coach, and he's willing to do what it takes to win from an owner's perspective. He hasn't done a great job hiring coaches so far. He inherited an over-the-hill Shula so that's not really his fault. He begged Jimmy Johnson to come out of retirement to fix things, but Johnson's heart was never really in it. Johnson recommended Wanstadt. Saban was the result of his first real coaching search. Hopefully Cameron will turn out to be a better fit.

One thing, he'll have some great assistants around him. They're doing everything they can to keep that group together: Capers, Houck, etc.

I don't think they're as far from being a good team as some seem to think if Dante can return to form (which I'm not sold on). Aside from that, Ronnie Brown is a decent back. They've got some young talent on defense despite all the attention paid to how old Thomas and Taylor are. Someone needs to finally realize Chambers is not a #1 receiver, and they need to fill holes in both o-line, d-line and secondary.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how could you expect him to compete at all at IU? recycled? old?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because the man he replaced, Bill Mallory, competed extremely well at IU. Six bowl games, two Heisman finalists, and countless players who went on to the NFL. Cameron came in and was handed the best player in the history of the program, Antwaan Randle El. Not one bowl game to show for the entire four year run. Great offensive coordinator, but horrible isn't a strong enough word to describe the defenses he was responsible for.

[ QUOTE ]
He's been a very successful coordinator in the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

The offense should improve, but I hope the Dolphins have someone with a clue running the difference. Cam sure isn't the answer.