FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: I have experienced sleep paralysis
No 27 43.55%
Yes 35 56.45%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2006, 01:07 PM

Default Re: 2007 MLB HOF Voting Poll

[ QUOTE ]
Dawson played more seasons, had more AB's, scored more runs, had more hits, had more doubles, triples, home runs, rbi's, stolen bases, a higher sb%, an OPS of .038 higher, and more total bases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparing their hitting statistics is pretty disengenuous when, as you note, Dawson spent most of his time at corner OF. Even CF, where he spent about half his career, is a much more offensive position.

Also, Trammell's OBP is higher than Dawson's.

Dawson had the offensive advantage, but it surely wasn't large enough to overcome the positional difference.

[ QUOTE ]
Dawson was also much more of a standout at his position (corner OF), than Trammell was at his position (SS).

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean defensively? Dawson was a fine CFer while he was able to play there but his bad kness slowed him down. I imagine he was a fine corner outfielder, but to compare the defense of a corner OF to a SS on a relative scale would be pretty silly when you just compared their offense in absolute terms. Dawson was largely the top of player that gets overrated - fast, good power, decent average, but no OBP.

When you compare to Trammell - a guy who wasn't particularly fast, wasn't particularly powerful, but did a lot of things fairly well, you're gonna get a guy who's underrated...
Old 08-03-2006, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dawson played more seasons, had more AB's, scored more runs, had more hits, had more doubles, triples, home runs, rbi's, stolen bases, a higher sb%, an OPS of .038 higher, and more total bases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparing their hitting statistics is pretty disengenuous when, as you note, Dawson spent most of his time at corner OF. Even CF, where he spent about half his career, is a much more offensive position.

Also, Trammell's OBP is higher than Dawson's.

Dawson had the offensive advantage, but it surely wasn't large enough to overcome the positional difference.

[ QUOTE ]
Dawson was also much more of a standout at his position (corner OF), than Trammell was at his position (SS).

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean defensively? Dawson was a fine CFer while he was able to play there but his bad kness slowed him down. I imagine he was a fine corner outfielder, but to compare the defense of a corner OF to a SS on a relative scale would be pretty silly when you just compared their offense in absolute terms. Dawson was largely the top of player that gets overrated - fast, good power, decent average, but no OBP.

When you compare to Trammell - a guy who wasn't particularly fast, wasn't particularly powerful, but did a lot of things fairly well, you're gonna get a guy who's underrated...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, sure, but I still think Hawk deserves to be in there. I will admit that, growing up in the 80's, I got to see much more of Hawk on WGN, than Trammell at all whatsoever. Baseball coverage in the 80's was prehistoric compared to today. Most people couldn't name 3 players on any team other than their hometown team, the Braves, and the Cubs.

After looking at Trammell's stats, he looks better than I realized. You have opened my eyes up a bit. But still, Hawk needs to be in there, and if it was one or the other, I'd have to say I'd vote Dawson first.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd really love to see someone try to justify voting for Andre Dawson over Alan Trammell.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a Cub fan, and Dawson is my favorite player of all-time. No pretense of objectivity here.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd really love to see someone try to justify voting for Andre Dawson over Alan Trammell.

[/ QUOTE ]

can't do it. sorry. I cast my votes based on vague memories of baseball trading cards.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

can't do it. sorry. I cast my votes based on vague memories of baseball trading cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

I vote for Gregg Jefferies: Future Star.