Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Join this club, get extra credit. (a question of ethics)

I am currently enrolled in a class which is centered around food and culture. The teacher also runs a club which is centered around the same thing as the class. The first day she has stated that if you join the club you will receive 25 points extra credit. Which is a pretty decent chunk of your grade. She mentions this every class and also mentions the $5 dues you must pay to get into the club. Does anyone else think something about this is very wrong? I certainly do. Anyone else have any experiences like this?

Also, if this is of any importance this is pretty much a blow off class. If I show up and take the tests I should get an A without any hard work. I don't know if that information is relevant.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Join this club, get extra credit. (a question of ethics)

Normally for $5 I'd just join and get the extra credit just for a cushion or whatever. It's only $5.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Normally for $5 I'd just join and get the extra credit just for a cushion or whatever. It's only $5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, even though I think it is [censored] I would do it, but I can't make it to any of the meetings. I have a class when they meet Tuesday nights and I am the president of another club on Thursdays when they have their events. So I can't do it.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:00 PM

Just pay the dues, call in sick to one of your other meetings, or ask for an alternative way to get the same credit.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just pay the dues, call in sick to one of your other meetings, or ask for an alternative way to get the same credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping this thread would not go through this path. If the class were even a little bit harder I would go to the teacher for some other form of the extra credit. I was hoping this would focus on whether or not it is right for a teacher should use her class as a means to push her club.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:55 PM

It's not ethical. I would still do it.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:02 PM

Its totally ethical. I'd do it.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping this thread would not go through this path. If the class were even a little bit harder I would go to the teacher for some other form of the extra credit. I was hoping this would focus on whether or not it is right for a teacher should use her class as a means to push her club.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's wrong, but pick your battles. If you want to further your education after you graduate, play the numbers game.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Junior year of (catholic) high school, our morality teacher offered her students 10 extra credit points to stay after school and go to an anti-abortion rally. This made the news that night.

Link: http://www.buckscountyprolife.com/ne...ail.asp?id=274

There's a nice quote in the story - "The fact that this was a class on morality begs the question: 'Is it moral behavior to intimidate people coming in for health services?' "

My favorite part of this story concerns how this was reported in the paper the next day. In the local paper, the story made the front page. There was a picture of four girls at the rally wearing their school uniforms - but you couldn't see their faces in the picture - only their skirts and legs.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:48 PM

Are you getting at the fact that she is charging $5 dues?

Obviously if you couldn't afford $5, she would waive the fee, so its not really discriminatory at all.

Sucks that you're busy during those times, but those are the breaks.

If you needed the pts, I'm sure she'd arrange something else given ure situation.

In college I got into the honor society for my major, $50 fee, and I said I couldn't afford it (pretty much true) and she said not to worry about it, the dept. had funds for things like this.