Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-30-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Too fancy?

Villain is unknown. Am I getting too fancy here?

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.42 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.75 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.38 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.38 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Old 11-30-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Too fancy?

A fine hand up to 6th street, but I think you lose a bet here. He is not going to think you are afraid of a pair of 4's and may read you correctly for the check-raise. Then again, he may only read you for the straight draw plus a pair and might try to make you pay for your draw. It just depends on how sophisicated your villian is, which you don't know yet. I go ahead and bet, but thats because I'm pretty aggressive against unknowns when I most likely have the best hand.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:52 PM

Raise 3rd, raise 4th, bet 6th
You want to play your better pair hard here. No reason to sandbag it.
Also if he is on a flush draw don't give him a free card. You want to make him pay which is why you bet 6th.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:03 PM

WP assuming you're going for the CR. He's not on a flush draw.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know he is not on a flush draw?
Old 11-30-2007, 05:23 PM

Experience. One reason, a maybe, two reasons, its a 90%er.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:45 PM

Yeah, too fancy. Just bet your hand already.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, you can go for the c/r, but I think betting out is better. you paired your door card, then caught an ace and you check? looks a little fishy and a lot of villains will slow down here and want to just see a showdown, especially if he had a pair less than jacks to start. I'd prob. just bet unless I had a particular read that a c/r is going to work a good portion of the time.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:08 PM

Sometimes when I am playing, I look at mine and my opponent's boards, think of how I would play certain hands that I don't have, and then make a play that is consistent with that type of holding (provided it doesn't expect to lose money compared to the straightforward play) hoping to induce a mistake from my opponent at some point during the hand. This serves an immediate goal of making more money on the current hand, while also discouraging readability in future hands. Regardless, sometimes this approach doesn't work out and I end up out thinking myself and making bad plays. I think this was one of those situations.

In this case, when my opponent made open 4's, I expected that he had made jacks up and would bet, since he should expect me to lead 6th whenever I have any better hand. In hindsight a lot of players will check behind either fearing I have trips (despite the dead 8) or because they can't even beat my board. So, I think I should have bet.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:12 PM

If you're going to play streets 3-5 like this you should definitely bet 6th since it will look like a "bet when button is presented"-play