Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Case for South Florida and Virginia over USC, Oregon and Oklahoma?

kos,

in 2005 and 2006 we played texas. in 2008 and 2009 i believe we play southern cal. also in 2009 is the return leg against washington. in the years that follow are home and homes with the university of miami, cal and virginia tech.

i mean, it turns out that ohio state had a cake schedule this year because washington hasn't quite returned to being a powerhouse, but that's not exactly the premise the buckeyes are going for.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So if you're Ohio State , you just schedule OOC cakewalks like Kent State

[/ QUOTE ]
Saying Ohio State schedules OOC cakewalks is ridiculous. They just got out of a series with Texas and have more coming up with USC and another big name team (Oklahoma?). I'm not sure if you're talking about just this year (even though they still played a road game at a BCS school), but you make it sound like this is a yearly occurrence.

[/ QUOTE ]
USC is playing tOSU the next two years in a row, at the Coliseum in 08 and in Columbus in 09. I can't wait for these games because it'll finally be a way to settle the 'how does the Big 10 really match up with the Pac 10' debate to some degree. I'm predicting blowouts for USC 1 and 2 years in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I'm sure Dirty Sanchez is going to put the hurt on them!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Lol at the thought of Virginia being good. And im a Virginia fan. They win every game by 1 point, and have relied completely on Chris Long being unstoppable.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:17 PM

Those of you that don't see USC as a legit threat to run the table now that they have regained some semblance of health are lying to themselves. Their defense is ridiculously talented and with a healthy line their running game will start turning out 200yds per again. The only question is whether Sanchez can run the team.

I know it's unlikely considering all the tough games are away, but it's certainly possible.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those of you that don't see USC as a legit threat to run the table now that they have regained some semblance of health are lying to themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they are a threat to do so. But it's more likely they lose at least one more, and maybe even more likely they drop two.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:53 PM

It's not just that the computers are missing margin of victory, its that they done have enough data yet. Not enough top teams have played each other. I'm an ASU fan and there is no way we are 4th, it just a vestige of running the table for seven games.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
View this:
(1-7) W 38-10
at (4-4) W 49-31
(2-5) W 47-14
at (2-5) W 27-24
(3-4) L 24-23
(2-6) W 20-13
at (1-7) W 38-0

compared to:

(5-2) W 28-13
at (5-3) W 26-23
(2-5) W 37-10
(6-1) W 21-13
at (4-3) W 35-23
(4-3) W 64-12
at (5-2) L 30-27

[/ QUOTE ]
This gives me an idea. I'm going to go through and list the current BCS top ten as "Team A, Team B, etc" with their schedules and results listed, but no team names. The game is to rank them from 1-10 without knowing who they are and see what interesting results emerge. If this sounds interesting to you, keep your eyes peeled for a new thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly what the Colley Rankings (one of the BCS computers) does. ( http://www.colleyrankings.com/ ). It looks solely at the win loss records of each team. Unlike other computer polls, it does no preranking of teams, and does no forecasting. It simply rates teams based on their record and the record of the teams they play.

It leads to results that humans find odd. For example, the #1 team is LSU, over undefeated BC and OSU. The reason is that LSU has beaten 4 teams in the top 20 (and their only loss is to another top 20 team). OSU hasn't beaten a single team in the top 29.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Those of you that don't see USC as a legit threat to run the table now that they have regained some semblance of health are lying to themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they are a threat to do so. But it's more likely they lose at least one more, and maybe even more likely they drop two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to wonder if the University of Spoiled Children has more delusional fans than the Domers. I didn't think it was possible!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not just that the computers are missing margin of victory, its that they done have enough data yet. Not enough top teams have played each other. I'm an ASU fan and there is no way we are 4th, it just a vestige of running the table for seven games.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely correct. People blast the computers all the time because, in October, they have rankings that are "odd" compared to human polls. Thing is, by the end of the season, the computer rankings and human polls usually converge such that the top teams are relatively similar.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
View this:
(1-7) W 38-10
at (4-4) W 49-31
(2-5) W 47-14
at (2-5) W 27-24
(3-4) L 24-23
(2-6) W 20-13
at (1-7) W 38-0

compared to:

(5-2) W 28-13
at (5-3) W 26-23
(2-5) W 37-10
(6-1) W 21-13
at (4-3) W 35-23
(4-3) W 64-12
at (5-2) L 30-27

[/ QUOTE ]
This gives me an idea. I'm going to go through and list the current BCS top ten as "Team A, Team B, etc" with their schedules and results listed, but no team names. The game is to rank them from 1-10 without knowing who they are and see what interesting results emerge. If this sounds interesting to you, keep your eyes peeled for a new thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly what the Colley Rankings (one of the BCS computers) does. ( http://www.colleyrankings.com/ ). It looks solely at the win loss records of each team. Unlike other computer polls, it does no preranking of teams, and does no forecasting. It simply rates teams based on their record and the record of the teams they play.

It leads to results that humans find odd. For example, the #1 team is LSU, over undefeated BC and OSU. The reason is that LSU has beaten 4 teams in the top 20 (and their only loss is to another top 20 team). OSU hasn't beaten a single team in the top 29.

[/ QUOTE ]
if it does no preranking of teams how does it know which teams are the top 20?