Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Are semi-bluffs any good at uNL?

The more uNL I've been playing, the more I question plays like the one I make here.

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

Hero (CO): $5.71
BTN: $5.03
SB: $1.16
BB: $3.67
UTG: $3.60
MP: $6

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG calls $0.02, MP folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.10</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.24</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.14

Flop: ($0.53) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.50</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $1.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $5.47 and is All-In</font>, BTN calls $3.29 and is All-In

Turn: ($10.11) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($10.11) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $10.11 Pot ($0.50 Rake)
Hero showed Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (high card King) and LOST (-$5.03 NET)
BTN showed A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (a pair of Aces) and WON $9.61 (+$4.58 NET)

Isn't the whole point of shoving here as a semi-bluff to shut out hands just like aces that can't call because this could be a set or 2 pair? In small stakes, around .5/1 and 1/2, I feel like this play works very well due to fold equity, but I seem to get this result quite often. How should I proceed with my strong draws in these stakes?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Are semi-bluffs any good at uNL?

this is a really bad case because 1) he 3bet you preflop and 2) hes raising your flop bet. you're essentially just getting it in with bad equity when you know he won't fold. if you knew your opponent wasnt folding, you wouldn't bluff
Old 11-27-2007, 12:42 AM

they just aren't smart enough to fold. let's be honest. Nut peddle, it's the only way.

Semi bluff shoves are only a good idea if you have outs + FOLDING EQUITY (see QDMCQ's post above) vs. a tight-ish player good enough/weak enough to fold.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:46 AM

Just c/c the flop unless you suspect light 3betting, which you shouldn't. Especially at 2nl, they won't fold when you hit the draw anyways.

edit: I don't agree about nut peddling. If you raised, he called pf and you bet and got raised I would shove.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The more uNL I've been playing, the more I question plays like the one I make here.

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

Hero (CO): $5.71
BTN: $5.03
SB: $1.16
BB: $3.67
UTG: $3.60
MP: $6

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG calls $0.02, MP folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.10</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.24</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.14

Flop: ($0.53) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.50</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $1.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $5.47 and is All-In</font>, BTN calls $3.29 and is All-In

Turn: ($10.11) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($10.11) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $10.11 Pot ($0.50 Rake)
Hero showed Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (high card King) and LOST (-$5.03 NET)
BTN showed A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (a pair of Aces) and WON $9.61 (+$4.58 NET)

Isn't the whole point of shoving here as a semi-bluff to shut out hands just like aces that can't call because this could be a set or 2 pair? In small stakes, around .5/1 and 1/2, I feel like this play works very well due to fold equity, but I seem to get this result quite often. How should I proceed with my strong draws in these stakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's never folding to your shove here. He 3bet you pre and raised your flop lead. He wants to get all the money in quick. His range is TT+ and won't fold it.

Also, LOL at your loc + this hand.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just c/c the flop unless you suspect light 3betting, which you shouldn't. Especially at 2nl, they won't fold when you hit the draw anyways.

edit: I don't agree about nut peddling. If you raised, he called pf and you bet and got raised I would shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

and he would call and you would have 8 outs for all the money. NUT PEDDLE at micros. Avoid FPS.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and he would call and you would have 8 outs for all the money. NUT PEDDLE at micros. Avoid FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]That's terrible advice. At 2nl you could play any style and make money as long as you know how to value bet and play flops. Their bluffs are much more transparent than higher levels and easy to snap off with marginal hands.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]That's terrible advice. At 2nl you could play any style and make money as long as you know how to value bet and play flops. Their bluffs are much more transparent than higher levels and easy to snap off with marginal hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
i think you speak of having a made hand. This example is an 8 outer which is not a great hand to have in this situation. Good luck, though!
Old 11-27-2007, 01:38 AM

Grunch, responding to title.

Semi Bluffs should only be used when you have solid reads.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Grunch, responding to title.

Semi Bluffs should only be used when you have solid reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or more than eight outs. The way the hand is played he's got TT-AA and maybe AJ if he's a complete donk.

Getting it in with an OESD and this kind of board the way the hand is played is extremely unprofitable. I'd fold pf, check/call or bet/fold the flop. If you must see a turn, fold if it's a brick.

It's 2NL, they're stacking off to you with TPTK. He's calling you with like KJo and QJo here. Wait for a made hand or a 12-18 outer to get your money in.