Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 08-28-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Antonio Puerta - RIP

any idea on a cause? Rare heart condition?

I mentioned this story to someone at work, who admitedly is clueless, his first reaction was "steroids". when he said steroids, I would guess he means some sort of performance enhancing product.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:11 PM

His girlfriend is 7 months pregnant, goddam awful

RIP Antonio Puerta
Old 08-28-2007, 04:27 PM

According to various spanish websites and television programs where MD's explained what happened, he suffered from heart arythmia (dunno if translated correct). This condition manifests itself normally in between the ages of 20 and 40, causes scar tissue on the heart, and basically makes it impossible for the heart to function correctly.

One MD said that the only reason he was still alive was because he was immediately treated with a defibrillator, as normally this condition causes a sudden cardiac arrest that in the vast majority of the cases will prove to be lethal.

Earlier this year he already lost consciousness in a game in Badajoz I think, he was thoroughly checked and the doctors could not find anything, and as I understand, this was because there was simply nothing to be found.

I live very close to Monaco, the mood will be really strange this Friday I guess.

Last year the Barcelona and Sevilla fans made a big party on the streets, it will be a sad affair this year I guess.

A good thing Sevilla plays AC Milan, the Italian supporters will have the decency to show their respect and compassion, instead of chanting ugly things.

RIP Antonio Puerta
Old 08-28-2007, 08:27 PM

This is so sad, such a bright future ahead of him.

I'm still very impressed with the care of Dragutinović and Sevilla's medical team in reacting so quickly.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:49 PM

Jared, are they rescheduling the Super Cup too? When stuff like this happens, I think the whole league should take a day off or something.

I can't even imagine what it must feel like if you were watching that game.

I remember last year after watching the Bronco's last game and seeing Darrent Williams play. Then later that night, someone shot and killed him. It really tore me up, and I am not a Bronco's fan at all. Just the notion that someone I was watching play a sport, died at way to young of an age hours later.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:25 PM

TSC,

They moved the CL match, which was supposed to be today, to next Monday. That forced them to also move the Osasuna match, haven't heard about that. AC Milan said that they would support whatever decision UEFA made. I guess that would have to come down tomorrow but I would assume that it's still going to be on making it the first match after.

I've been pretty upset all day. The graduate secretary in my department, to whom I was very close, died a little over a year ago. This doesn't really compare with that, but just totally sucks. I have started crying a few times today and held back a couple others. I'm sure I would be in worse shape if I was in Sevilla where everyone is really upset about it as well and so it gets magnified. I can only imagine what it would be like for the other players and people that work for the club.

After I found out about it I've spent a lot of time reading the Sevilla message board and listening to the radio station online. The words and actions of Betis fans has been unbelievable. They had a gathering at the stadium and there were many Betis fans there, also crying a lot. On the message board there have been various messages from their fans wishing us well.

People on both sides are calling for an end to the rivalry as it is now. It's hard to describe really, because in the city basically every group of friends has some that are Sevillista and some Beticos but the level animosity and general disrespect that the two teams have for one another is unbelievable. This peaked during the last Copa del Rey when Juande Ramos got knocked unconscious by bottle thrown by a Betis fan. Even at the top the two presidents trade shots for weeks leading up to the match. The Sevilla president was told not to go to that copa del rey match for safety reasons, but he's a stubborn ass so he went anyway. He actually got hit in the face with a lighter, and his presence probably made the situation worse. 20 years ago it would have been pretty normal for them to play the derbies with mixed fans but it's gotten to the point where there usually no fans of the opposing team or they block off and entire section with tons of security people for 50 or fewer ultras.

The Betis president is Manuel Ruiz de Lopera. He has never been to a Sevilla - Betis match played in Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan and his safety is a big reason for that. He must be the most hated man in the city as there are some beticos that also don't like him and every Sevillista hates him. Well, I should probably use past tense. On Sevilla FC radio today they were primarily reading emails and telling stories about Puerta. They would have the occasional past player or whatever call in. Lopera called and said he wanted to talk on the air. That alone is amazing. I was actually listening at the time and was pretty damn surprised and twice thought I had misunderstood what they were saying. He said a lot of standard stuff, giving condolences to family members and Sevilla fans and whatnot. He also said the fairly standard and yet shocking "We're all Sevillista today." Tomorrow he's going with the entire Betis team and staff to the wake at Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan stadium (I think that's what it's called, his body is in a casket and people can go and pay their respects). Also since this is the centenary year for Betis the city council building in Sevilla is flying the Betis flag all year. They did the same thing for Sevilla couple years ago. They are flying this at half staff with a black ribbon tied around it. Finally, he said he will be at the next derbi which doesn't fall until January.

The response to this on the message board I read was great. People actually wrote "Grande Lopera!" and other similar things. This is probably going to sound lame and like the standard BS that people say when this type of stuff happens but I think this will be a great thing that comes out of this. Obviously it sucks in general and also sucks that it takes some tragedy to get this kind of mutual respect, but it's a nice effect even if a very sad cause.

This got long and rambly, but it really has been an intense day.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:38 PM

If Puerta's death can bring two teams, and their fans, together to end what appears to be a bitter rivalry, then his sudden and unfortunate death has serious meaning. Amazing.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:12 AM

Jared, thank you for sharing. I'm not a huge soccer fan, so I'd never heard of any of this. It would be an unbelievable story if the rivalry 'ended' over this.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:25 AM

In a morbid conincidence, Clive Clarke collapsed at half time last night in Leicester's Carling Cup game with a suspected heart failure. He is apparently OK.

Twice in one week is freaky.

linky
Old 08-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Jared, wanted to let you know my boy Cesc dedicated his goal yesterday to Puerta.