Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Second Try At Same Question

If sin under a religious view is determined by what's right or wrong under this same religion laws, considering that both "believ[ing] in a much different monotheistic religion or to disbelieve in God completely" would be a mistake because that religion would be the only true one.. then I suppose the former would be worse because not only would you be denying the only true God, you'd also be putting your faith in some unpure entity or whatever that other religion you beleive in is workshipping.

Completly disbeleiving God on the other hand would only make one of those two "mistakes" true.

If sin is judged by morality, since that morality could only be determined by that one true religion, the answer to the question cannot be evaluated without explaining what are the rights and wrongs of it.

Being the agnostic I am, I however disagree any belief I could have would make me more or less sinful. Your question can only be answered accepting there is a "true" religion making all other belief wrong. If that would be so, I have the hope we wouldnt be arguing about the fact that this religion (would it even remain a religion if its known as truth?) is true or not and the question would consequently become irrelevant.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess it's worse to believe in another religion since they are harder to covert to the "right" religion

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it be harder to convince an atheist to believe at all than a theist to believe in a different religion? I know several converts from one religion to another, but I know none who considered himself an atheist and moved on to religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. I could make a snide comment that if I were trying to sell snake oil, I'd rather go up to a group of people holding magic beans than a group that weren't.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess it's worse to believe in another religion since they are harder to covert to the "right" religion

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it be harder to convince an atheist to believe at all than a theist to believe in a different religion? I know several converts from one religion to another, but I know none who considered himself an atheist and moved on to religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. I could make a snide comment that if I were trying to sell snake oil, I'd rather go up to a group of people holding magic beans than a group that weren't.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think there's pluses and minuses. You just need to convince an atheist he has a question which needs an answer - then conveniently provide one. For a believer in a rival religion, you first have to persuade them their answer is wrong - they've often got a lot invested in maintaining their position.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:36 AM

I disagree. Recognizing the question doesn't imply accepting the first answer that pops up. I think an atheist is much more likely to examine the answers presented to him and decide based on their merits. And an atheist who decides that none of the answers presented are sufficient is likely to remain an atheist.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. Recognizing the question doesn't imply accepting the first answer that pops up. I think an atheist is much more likely to examine the answers presented to him and decide based on their merits. And an atheist who decides that none of the answers presented are sufficient is likely to remain an atheist.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm postulating an atheist who has been persuaded that there is a question and that it needs an answer. This often seems to be at the heart of attempts to convert atheists. (Where does your morality come from? Why are we here? Why do you matter if there's no god? Etcetera - all seem to me to be based on the assumption that these questions require an answer.

Pure idle speculation, of course, but what I meant by pluses and minuses is that as well as an atheist being more prone to "shop around" he will also be more willing to move in the first case.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:38 AM

Be like Budda in how you live. Be a Muslim in your dedication. Be like Jews in your law and principles. Be Christian in your faith.

The answer is they are all connected and right. It's the act of dependence within your faith that defines your faith. Even Satan knows that God exists. Faith is wanting to be on Gods side. Just like the Devil has many names so does God.

The Greek Myths are the same characters in the old testament just translated into different names.