Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 03:26 PM

Default The Cosmic Question: Interlock vs Overlap

Ive been playing golf for ~15 years and have always interlocked, over the past couple seasons I have devolped a worsening snap hook on my 'missed' shots (esp longer clubs) and recently have been toying around with the overlap grip, releaving some of the pressure on the club from my button hand...(mixed emotions so far)...

whats everyone use ? ever switch mid round / mid season / mid career? just for certain shots (ie trying to play a big fade)?
Old 08-09-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: The Cosmic Question: Interlock vs Overlap

Let's not forget that the greatest ball striker of all time used a 10-finger grip. Many a golfer would be better off doing this.

BO
Old 08-09-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's not forget that the greatest ball striker of all time used a 10-finger grip.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

He also set the club a foot behind the ball in his set up it doesn't make it the correct thing for the masses to do. For my money I'd take Hogan anyway Mo couldn't hit it out of his shadow.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:41 PM

I used interlocking, then I read Ben hogans 5 lessons, and switched, I really sucked overlapping and went back. I couldnt hit it straight to save my life. i was decent with my irons, even those sliced. Why is that?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He also set the club a foot behind the ball in his set up it doesn't make it the correct thing for the masses to do. For my money I'd take Hogan anyway Mo couldn't hit it out of his shadow.

[/ QUOTE ]
It doesn't mean it's the thing for the masses to do, but many a beginning golfer would be much better suited for a 10-finger grip vs. overlap or interlock.

In terms of Hogan vs. Moe, they are certainly 1-2 in ball-striking terms, but almost every pro that watched both in action say that Moe was tops hands down. I've studied both and read their biographies and have to agree.

BO
Old 08-09-2007, 04:49 PM

Interlocking - feels so natural. Overlapping felt like I was losing control of the club at the top of the swing.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interlocking - feels so natural. Overlapping felt like I was losing control of the club at the top of the swing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im in the same boat but I *think* its because I have been interlocking since I was 12...Now this overlap crap feels weird but I cant snap hook it, cant keep it straight either...we will see, coming soon 10 finger baseball grip [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It doesn't mean it's the thing for the masses to do, but many a beginning golfer would be much better suited for a 10-finger grip vs. overlap or interlock.

In terms of Hogan vs. Moe, they are certainly 1-2 in ball-striking terms, but almost every pro that watched both in action say that Moe was tops hands down. I've studied both and read their biographies and have to agree.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

To each his own on the Hogan vs Mo debate and yeah there is nothing wrong with a ten finger grip there are at least two touring pros that I am aware of that use it.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:19 PM

I've always used the 10-finger.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:28 PM

I've always used interlock. I've played around a bit with both overlapping and 10 finger, but neither one felt natural.

I'd be curious to know how the experiment turns out - if overlapping will significantly reduce the chances of hitting a snap hook, I should try it again.