Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-22-2007, 07:46 PM

Default What are the most common leaks for a losing/break even player?

Would someone please tell me what the most common leaks are for a losing player? How do i go about fixing them? I know that I am quite bad for tilting but I cannot find any of the other things that make me a losing/break even player. Someone please help im on the edge just now and I'm thinking about quitting poker I really dont want to but its just annoying me that I cannot show a profit at this game at micro stakes.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: What are the most common leaks for a losing/break even player?

Do you play live or online? Limit or NL? What stakes? Knowing this, I would then ask you some additional questions in order to give you some specific information that might be more valuable to you.

Meanwhile, the number one, generic across-the-board answer is PLAYING TOO MANY HANDS by calling preflop and even being in the pot and then compounding that mistake by STAYING IN THE HAND TOO LONG by calling just to see one more card.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:11 PM

Oops! Sorry! I'm a donk!

Guess the reason I'm a losing player is failure to be observant regarding previous action-- LOL!

Actually, I am not a losing player. Still a noob, but consistently winning beyond the rake at about 2.33bb/100 over about 2,000 hours at $3-6 (and now because I moved to AC area $2-4 arrggghh, I hate 'em) games... although I have recently tried $1-2 NL limit games with greater success...

But okay, you say you play microlimits so I am figuring you're online at tiny stakes and probably NL games?

My previous statement (in above post) regarding seeing too many flops and staying in hand too long is probably true because it seems to be true for so MANY players and especially for newbie and especially for losing players.

You have it tough, though, because you're basically playing card slots, I think, which is what a lot of folks do at tables where the money involved is intrinsically meaningless to them. And while you personally may be "serious" about the game, being at table where little or no one else is, you're gonna be sucked out on an inordinate number of times, etc. Plus you may just be having a longer, extended bad run.

But neverthless, it IS possible to beat these games so you have to start paying attention to what you're doing more.

What sort of stats do you keep? Do you have access to software to review how many times you're seeing the flop from what postions and how often going to showdown and such?

How selective are you with starting hands? Do you make adjustments according to number of players at table, players in pot, etc? Do you play position?

Do you always/never defend the blinds?

Tell us a bit more about how you've scrutinized your game and you might get more meaningful feedback.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:30 PM

Leaks at the micro levels...

No1 leak has got ot be playing too many hands. Also at micro levels there is no need to bluff or FPS (fancy play syndrome) Solid ABC poker wins at micro level.

Wait for good hands, play them strong. lay down big hands of you are obviously beat.

as said above it would be good to have an idea of what level/table size you are playing. live online NL etc to give a better guide.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:04 PM

lack of discipline (most commonly tilt and playing too many hands - esp OOP)
overvaluing trap hands like KQ and AJ in raised pots..and misplaying overpairs, AK,AQo post-flop
fancy play with limping and min raising big pairs pre-flop
cold calling HU out of position without very good reasons
trying to bluff calling stations
weak leading draws into opponents who are awake
paying off calling station when their draws hit
not making villains pay enough for draws
failing to value bet on the end
not understanding pot building and pot control concepts
Old 11-22-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No1 leak has got to be playing too many hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

...playing too many hands up front. They need to learn to fold AT, KQ etc from UTG.

.Z
Old 11-23-2007, 01:54 AM

Stacking off with top pair or an overpair. I see it time and time again.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Great post. However, I don't understand this one phrase. Does it mean that it's a leak to draw to a hand that's not good enough to win?
Old 11-23-2007, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Great post. However, I don't understand this one phrase. Does it mean that it's a leak to draw to a hand that's not good enough to win?

[/ QUOTE ]

hes referring to those people who min bet with a draw
Old 11-23-2007, 06:02 AM

maybe not playing enough. I mean a break even stretch can last 20K hands, and until 100K hands you can't make a fair idea of what is your winrate.

also, just giving money away. Spend your $ just like in real life, no risking them without a good reason, and that should be anough to win at the low stakes, if not at any.