Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Re: ZMA

Make sure not to drink milk or take any sort of calcium supplement a while before taking it. Calcium negates the effects of ZMA.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am being serious. I bought ZMA, and have taken it twice. I got sick both times(vomitting). Is this normal? The 2nd time I made sure I didnt eat within a few hours of taking it. The first time I ate within an hour of taking it...

[/ QUOTE ]

it's the zinc. if you can't take it with a meal at least drink a lot of water. from what is in this thread you can eat bread and take zma before bed I think.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:46 PM

I didn't find that it helped me any better sleeping than just regular ol melatonin.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Welbutrin gives you vivid dreams too but i never hear any bodybuilders recommending it.

edit: if you guys have money to waste, go ahead and keep buying ZMA. a placebo is better than nothing for some people.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't particularly care if anyone takes ZMA, so I'm not "defending" it, I just happen to think that your argument is pound-my-head-against-the-wall ignorant.

Don't you think that PERHAPS the mechanism of Welbutrin, which is an anti-depression drug for anyone too lazy to google, is different than the mechanism of ZMA? Don't you think that maybe the vivid dreams are caused by something else -- since Welbutrin is an entirely different drug? You leap to a pretty ridiculous conclusion.

Your bitter insistence that people are wasting their money (a whole $9/mo) on ZMA just seems strange to me.

Anyway, end of rant. If you don't think ZMA is any good that's cool, but at least try to form an intelligent argument.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am being serious. I bought ZMA, and have taken it twice. I got sick both times(vomitting). Is this normal? The 2nd time I made sure I didnt eat within a few hours of taking it. The first time I ate within an hour of taking it...

[/ QUOTE ]
If it keeps making you vomit, probably a good idea to stop taking it (or maybe try a diff brand?)
Old 09-21-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't figure out the ZMA love here. Does anyone know of a study (that is independent of any affiliations with Victor Conte or anyone else that stands to make a profit from ZMA hype) that shows ZMA actually works? I'm VERY skeptical that this supplement is anything but completely worthless.

The only studies I have seen are ones co-authored by Victor Conte (the developer of ZMA!) and this study, which disagrees with Conte's findings . Although to be fair, that study I just cited only tested ZMA on male, trained athletes, and doesn't comment on how ZMA could affect people with little or no training.

I'm willing to listen to arguments, as I'd love to add another supplement to my regime that I actually think works, but as of this moment, I just don't buy the hype.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's going to help a small amount of people, most are very old and have poor diets. It never did anything for me whatsoever. I have however had good results with combo products that are zma and something to knock you out, like melatonin or valerian root but this is something more geared towards extreme recovery, like if I am sore and really need o rest up.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:21 AM

I noticed a much better response when I had worse sleep and diet. Now its much less.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:50 AM

is it safe to take zma with nitric oxide (NO) pills on an empty stomach one hour before bed?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:11 AM

Sure, but NO stuff is useless.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 AM

so trip report, i definitely have more intense dreams, but not bad intense, i have no problem falling alseep after taking this stuff, if anything after i take this stuff i get knocked out and fall asleep quicker, could just be the combo of school/lifting...

As for the question, is it doing anything? I have no [censored] clue. Probably not. I've only been on it for 2 weeks and I normally don't take it fri/sat night cuase if I am drinking or eating I don't want to take it on a full stomach. Will I keep taking it? Probably. Will I ever notice it's effect? Probably not.