Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 12:43 PM

Default 50 NL: Playing back against LAG button raises

Villain has been at the table for about ten orbits, and is the button to my sb. Crazy LAG, He has been massively overbetting 50% of hands on the button, raising to $4 a pop, limpers or no. Over about 20 hands with me, hes about 60/50. Have seen him stack off with TPTK

My image is slightly loose agressive, have bluffed but havent been called down holding any junk, about 25/18 over the session

KsQs isnt usually a hand I like to play to such a large raise oop, but I'm pretty sure most of his range here is air, given the frequency of his button raises - omg, I have the button, I must raise etc.

I would like feedback on this hand, because I think I misplayed it in that I didnt put him on a hand range that I was confident on, I think im either WA/WB here. Is the CR on the flop fine, given that it was almost certain that he would bet into me? Is a CRAI better on the turn? Do we call a shove?

Party Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: $67.96
UTG: $31.89
MP: $63.05
CO: $57.68
BTN: $42.25
Hero (SB): $52.27

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
UTG calls $0.50, 2 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $4</font>, Hero calls $3.75, 2 folds

Flop: ($9) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $6</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $14.50</font>, BTN calls $8.50

Turn: ($38) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $33.77 and is All-In</font>, BTN calls $23.75 and is All-In

River: ($85.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)
Old 10-08-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: 50 NL: Playing back against LAG button raises

If he's about 60/50 here and you have seen him stack off with TPTK, I like this line. His range is like Qx, 33, TT, KK+, and random flush draws, probably much wider w/ the PPs. I get the feeling that because you posted this hand, he had TT or 33? Tough luck I guess.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 PM

No, actually won this hand on a suckout spiking the river, he turned over AQ. Just thought it merited a step back, because I discounted the possibility of him having a good hand. Guess even a donk hits a big hand now and then [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2007, 12:52 PM

I'm not sure about PF so I'll skip that.
I think your flop c/r is fine given your read but it's too small. You are almost giving him the correct odds to draw.

Having c/r the flop you have signaled that you like your hand so I think there is too much chance that a turn attempt at c/r will usually meet in a check behind from anyone drawing.

Now is the time to bet out and let him pay to draw.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:53 PM

Yeah I know you won this hand, but being behind before the suckout on the river is practically the same thing as losing. Still like the play though.

Edit: Yes a bigger flop raise maybe to like $20 would've been preferable.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:04 PM

Once you call pf and that's the flop, never fold, and rejoice if you get the money in against a maniac.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like feedback on this hand, because I think I misplayed it in that I didnt put him on a hand range that I was confident on, I think im either WA/WB here. Is the CR on the flop fine, given that it was almost certain that he would bet into me? Is a CRAI better on the turn? Do we call a shove?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you played the hand correctly. Against someone who isn't 60/50 but instead like 25/5 or 22/7, or even 60/10 I'd say a fold preflop might be in order. 60/10 you say...you must be crazy. No I'm not. Even if a player has a VP$IP of 60 but raises only 10% of his hands (pairs 66+, AK, AQ, suited aces, KQs, QJs), he is much tighter than a 60/50. That being said, a fold here is clearly not the correct. By the way, villain's range is any pair, any two suited cards, any ace, any two broadway, K5o+ (and that's only 50% of the hands, he plays 60%!!!). In short, you have 57% equity preflop.

On the flop, if he is overly aggressive (which he appears to be), let him do the betting for you. The only hands you're behind on the flop are 33, Q3, and AQ. He plays 60% of his hands so even if just one Queen fell on the flop you'd still be ahead of his range and a 4:1 favorite (Qh 3d 7d flop for example). So the check-raise on the flop is perfect against this guy. Against villain's range, with this flop, you are now have 92% equity.

I don't like the CRAI on the turn. You want to get it all in anyway, so just shove the turn as you did. There are so few hands which beat you, that shoving the turn is mandatory (especially a nondiamond turn incase he is drawing). Villain is probably going to call you anyway if he's on a diamond draw, so get it all in immediately. It sounds like nobody has really played back at this guy so why wouldn't he keep trying to bully the table? As played, nice hand.

AC
ps...I posted my response without seeing your post in which you said villain flipped over AQ. I don't care if villain had AQ or not. Based on villain's range, your hand preflop, and the flop that came, you played the entire hand correctly. If the King didn't spike on the river, you would have been saying, "[censored] LAGtard, of course he picks up a hand and we both flop a monster and he still beats me!?"