Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Finishing position in MTTS

Right, i'm relatively new to poker, only been playing cash at micro limits for about 6 months. Havent done too badly, have trebled my small bankroll, lost some, gained some, on about double (About $120 from $50) atm.

My question relates to large MTT tournaments, ie those with from 250-600 odd players. I have been playing a decent amount of them lately, but seem to have the same problem in each. Except for one where I placed second, I have finished +/- 15 places of the bubble in every other one, discounting about 2 where I went out in the first orbit.

The question: Am i deluding myself into thinking I am playing solidly, when in fact im not playing very well, and am just being caught up by blinds, or are MTTs too luck based for them to be profitable for an average player?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Finishing position in MTTS

profit from a mtt simply comes from how many ft's you can make and then doing well when you reach them. When you play if you feel like a FT is not in your ability to reach then you will never be profitable.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:12 PM

Your problem is likely that you're playing too tight on the bubble. It's as if you're folding into the money.

Fact is that you don't make good profit from just cashing. You need to make final tables and win.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:01 AM

You can profit, and profit well in MTTs as shown by the volume of posters on here who have stellar results.

It sounds like you have a small sample size. Don't get too concerned with your ROI/ITM, etc. until you have played several hundred tournaments. This still won't give you a true read on what your winrate is, but it should be at least a decent guide.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:19 AM

i know this would be difficult, but with a small bankroll, MTTs are very hard to do. The variability in $$$ is very wide and smaller buyins are just no fun
Old 08-05-2007, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i know this would be difficult, but with a small bankroll, MTTs are very hard to do. The variability in $$$ is very wide and smaller buyins are just no fun

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'd recommend grinding the $1.20/45 man or $1.10/45 man tournies on stars if you want to play MTTs on that roll. The "micro" MTTs on stars tend to have huge fields and must have enormous variance (plus I'm sure they take forever to play).

An even better recommendation is to play micro STTs until you have built a slightly larger roll (say $300-400) then play the $4/180s on Stars.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'd recommend grinding the $1.20/45 man or $1.10/45 man tournies on stars if you want to play MTTs on that roll. The "micro" MTTs on stars tend to have huge fields and must have enormous variance (plus I'm sure they take forever to play).

An even better recommendation is to play micro STTs until you have built a slightly larger roll (say $300-400) then play the $4/180s on Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another plan could be the small head up matches (if you can play good head up.) Most people playing them are just terrible and the variance is not bad at all.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:26 AM

yeh i agree with $120 if u can play reasonably not like a blind dog slapping buttons u cna make a very healthy BR from $5 HU matches in a week.