6 0 0%
7 6 18.18%
8 6 18.18%
9 7 21.21%
10 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Re: The Rivalry

Listen, I'm not going to try to prove to you that the OSU-UM game isn't the biggest rivalry 1). because that's impossible to "prove" 2). I wouldn't even know what metric to use and 3). it's obvious you have your head so firmly lodged up your ass my arguments wouldn't make a difference either way.

Damaniac seemed to claim that all of "us Boston fans" along with NY fans cannot STAND to see a thread go by without having it turn into a NY/Bos discussion. I'm sure that when i'm looking at the main page I think to myself "hmmm how many of these threads can I turn into a NY/Boston discussion?"...not at all. Have you ever thought that maybe there are so many NY/Boston threads in a sporting events forum because 1). The teams have two of the biggest followings in the country 2). The Red Sox just won the World Series 3). The Yankees are always in the news for free-agent issues, and A-Rod may walk away from NY 4). The Patriots were involved in a cheating "scandal" but are still in position to play for an undefeated season, and 5).The Celtics have some talent and can make a run at an NBA championship? I mean, maybe it's because of those HUGE stories that people talk about NY or Boston a lot. The irony is all that you had to do was let those couple (benign) comments pass by and that would have been that, but instead we have idiots like you bitching and moaning about us Boston and NY fans, which does nothing but turn the thread into a complete clusterfuck.

I never said college sports sucked, I said college football rivalries are always overhyped (interestingly enough by the media which you claim has told me what to like). I love College basketball in particular, but I find it hard to get excited for any college football for whatever reason, whether it's the BCS, or whatever. That's just my opinion, and that's how I represented it.

I'm what's wrong with fandom, and I'm a bandwagoner? Man, you suck. Perhaps it's because of douches like you insisting that despite what everyone else in the country thinks UM vs. OSU is the SINGLE GREATEST SPORTING EVENT IN HISTORY is why I've come to dislike the teams and "The Rivalry". For the record, I wasn't even the one who brought up NY or Boston.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't care about anything except the playoffs and think every season you don't win a championship is a failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, that's what's referred to as being a "winner". Not quite to that degree, but are you seriously trying to bag on me for expecting a team who has the pieces to win a championship to at least put together some sort of run in the playoffs? Also, LOL at you criticizing a long time Red Sox fan for expecting to win a championship every year....just so stupid.

btw, in regards to "only caring about the playoffs" what the hell does that even mean? Maybe you're such an awesome fan that playoffs don't even matter to you, maybe in your world we're all winners, but last I checked the point of fielding a competitive sports team is to win a championship, wouldn't you agree? I don't know, maybe it's because there ARE NO PLAYOFFS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL. I understand wanting to beat your rival, but it almost seems like you'd rather beat UM or OSU in-season and lose in the National Champ. game than lose to your rival but win the title. That's what you're making it sound like, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:11 AM

LOL this whole debate about greatest rivalry is silly. It similar to the who's the biggest fan debate. In the end its all relative. What it means to be a fan to me isn't the same as it is to you or the next person. We all have our own opinions and we value different aspects of fandom and rivalries and tradition differently.

So lets just end the hijack. Start a new thread or something.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL this whole debate about greatest rivalry is silly. It similar to the who's the biggest fan debate. In the end its all relative. What it means to be a fan to me isn't the same as it is to you or the next person. We all have our own opinions and we value different aspects of fandom and rivalries and tradition differently.

So lets just end the hijack. Start a new thread or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's completely fine with me. But I want the record to show that I in no way attempted to say what rivalry was the best, and actually said that debating that would be pointless. I just took offense to Fly calling me a bandwagoner, and claiming that apparently I'm what's wrong with sports today lol
Old 11-08-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand wanting to beat your rival, but it almost seems like you'd rather beat UM or OSU in-season and lose in the National Champ. game than lose to your rival but win the title. That's what you're making it sound like, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that the game always takes place on the third Saturday in November and has been the final regular season game for both teams since the 1930's, if either team wants a shot to win the national championship they must win the game. If the game sometimes took place in late September or something or early October it would be different. There would be games after which either team could recoup, win out and be a one-loss team playing for the championship. But with the timing of the game, that late in the season, the last game for both teams, you just can't expect to have a shot to win the national championship if you lose this game. Yes a National Championship is the ultimate goal for either team, but its just not possible unless you win that last game.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

LOL at you criticizing a long time Red Sox fan for expecting to win a championship every year

[/ QUOTE ]

While under most definitions I would grant that 3 years is a long time, on the other hand, shut the [censored] up.

People used to care about more than just winning the championship, it was possible for fans to contemplate the concept of a successful season that ended somewhere besides the championship podium even in professional sports. But thanks to "winners" such as yourself, that mindset has evaporated.

And you're goddamn right I'd rather beat Michigan and not win a championship over the alternative. That shouldn't sound so crazy to you, it's kind of the definition of a rivalry.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LOL at you criticizing a long time Red Sox fan for expecting to win a championship every year

[/ QUOTE ]

While under most definitions I would grant that 3 years is a long time, on the other hand, shut the [censored] up.

People used to care about more than just winning the championship, it was possible for fans to contemplate the concept of a successful season that ended somewhere besides the championship podium even in professional sports. But thanks to "winners" such as yourself, that mindset has evaporated.

And you're goddamn right I'd rather beat Michigan and not win a championship over the alternative. That shouldn't sound so crazy to you, it's kind of the definition of a rivalry.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 years? I've been a Red Sox fan much longer than that slim. You sound like someone who has made a habit of losing, are you a loser Fly?

[ QUOTE ]
it's kind of the definition of a rivalry

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the definition of idiocy. How is it not sweeter to imagine your bitter rival sitting at home watching your team hoist the National Championship trophy, grinning like the Cheshire Cat? That is the definition of losing the battle, but winning the war.

[ QUOTE ]
People used to care about more than just winning the championship

[/ QUOTE ] Yes...in t-ball

There can be successful seasons without winning the championship, of course, but you coming on here crying about how winning the 'ship isn't what it's all about is just laughable. Professional athletes play to win, GMs and managers manage to win. Are you honestly contending that a mindset where people don't "go for the Gold" so to speak is preferable? That is just pathetic.

I'm very interested to see the opinions of other UM or OSU fans.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:46 AM

as a student at OSU, this rivalry really is all its cracked up to be
Old 11-08-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How is it not sweeter to imagine your bitter rival sitting at home watching your team hoist the National Championship trophy, grinning like the Cheshire Cat? That is the definition of losing the battle, but winning the war.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this would be winning the battle but losing the war.

Also like I said before. That poll question just isn't applicable.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as a student at OSU, this rivalry really is all its cracked up to be

[/ QUOTE ]

just a thought, but could it be because you're a student at OSU that the rivalry is all it's cracked up to be? I'm from UMD, and I've been to games (and victories) against Duke (in basketball). Of course I'm gonna say "this rivalry's all it's cracked up to be" but that's definitely a biased opinion. But I would take getting swept by Duke on the season if it meant winning a national title 100 times out of 100. And though it doesn't quite have the history of UNC-Duke, UMD-Duke has definitely been the best college basketball rivalry of recent years.

Jgunnip-how can you honestly say that losing to a team during the season but winning the title is winning the battle but losing the war? that is completely irrational. The war is to win the championship. Maybe it's the fact that they play only once instead of a number of series like NY and Bos, but still I just dont understand how you can honestly tell me you'd rather win a game during the reg. season over winning it all.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you honestly contending that a mindset where people don't "go for the Gold" so to speak is preferable? That is just pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's more a case of not applying that framework. One doesn't get to trade beating MSU with OSU-- although, note that some UMer said that losing to MSU was more painful. Yet one can say that they are driven to distraction the entire week of UM/OSU and manage to function prior to a NC game.

There's really not much fruit in strapping a particular logical framework on this and beating someone up.