6 0 0%
7 6 18.18%
8 6 18.18%
9 7 21.21%
10 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: The Rivalry

i think sec should just be placed in a different division than the rest of ncaa. call it division super a. whoever wins is the national champ.

its unfair, and downright dangerous for other schools to play sec teams.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is my issue with the Big 10/SEC comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason SEC matchups like UGA/Florida get more respect than OSU/Mich St. is that Ohio State and Michigan are the only two teams in the Big 10 that ever consistently challenge for a national championship.

In the past 30 years the SEC has had Alabama (3), LSU(1), Tennessee(1), Florida(2), and Georgia(1) all win the national championship and Auburn went undefeated twice (once in 1993 on probation, the other in 2004 when they got shafted by the BCS selection committee.).

In the same time span Michigan and Ohio St. are the only Big 10 teams to win it all. (Penn State did win two before they joined.)

Is it fair? Maybe not; but that's the reason why our conference games are hyped more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Penn State was one play away from that National Title game 2 years ago. Do you think at all before you post?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason SEC matchups like UGA/Florida get more respect than OSU/Mich St. is that Ohio State and Michigan are the only two teams in the Big 10 that ever consistently challenge for a national championship.

In the past 30 years the SEC has had Alabama (3), LSU(1), Tennessee(1), Florida(2), and Georgia(1) all win the national championship and Auburn went undefeated twice (once in 1993 on probation, the other in 2004 when they got shafted by the BCS selection committee.).

In the same time span Michigan and Ohio St. are the only Big 10 teams to win it all. (Penn State did win two before they joined.)

Is it fair? Maybe not; but that's the reason why our conference games are hyped more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Penn State was one play away from that National Title game 2 years ago. Do you think at all before you post?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, sorry I forgot that Penn State didn't win the National Championship in the year that Texas and USC both went undefeated. How exactly does that make any of what I said untrue?

Michigan and OSU have shared or outright won the Big10 23 of the last 30 years.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also USC basically played at home in LA. Pac-10 has been pretty dominant in the Rose Bowl as far as I can remember. Maybe I'm getting my facts wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

pac10 has owned the rose bowl but historically there are some extenuating circumstances imo. until 1971 the big ten did not allow consecutive trips to pasadena so often the 2nd place team went. 1961 osu turned down their bid bc of a faculty vote. from 1972 season until 2000 (when bcs was implemented) p10 has won 18 and lost 11.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't really agree. I had this same argument with some PSU fans that stayed with us during the game this year. Sure, they were a play away from an unbeaten season, but no way would they have made it over USC or Texas, nor should they have. I mean, did you see that awful, unholy abortion of an Orange Bowl against FSU? The idea that a team involved in that game could have been close to playing for a national title is enough to make Baby Jesus cry.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What does it mean to roll a tree? Is this a metaphor for something?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Rolls" of toiler paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ok. TP-ing would be the term I am familiar with.

That raises some interesting issues that I mentioned before. Does it makes it a better rivalry if fans engage in that kind of behavior, or is it better if they follow the Mich-OSU example, where the Dead Schembechlers dedicated their concert to Bo and the fans were otherwise respectful? I don't mean to imply that all Auburn fans were waiting to piss on his grave or anything, or that all Mich-OSU people handled Bo (and Woody) dying with dignity and respect, but assume such behavior is the norm for each rivalry: is that a point in favor or against one or the other?

I tend to think respect is a point in favor: while we do care a great deal about these games, they are games and being batshit insane about them doesn't strike me as something that ought to be rewarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of the reason why there wasn't much animosity to Bo was the fact that he came from Ohio State under Woody. Besides that, there is a lot of hatred for Michigan.

I've also noticed that most of the ignorant stupid fans are the ones who never went to college and just root for the teams anyway. At least, it seems that way at Ohio State. Same at UM? I'm going to talk a lot of sh*t to a Michigan fan, but I'm not going to throw a full can of beer at his head.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

Although I'd say the ratio of idiot Tosu fans that throw full beer cans to idiot Michigan fans that throw beer cans is greatrt than 5:1
Old 11-08-2007, 06:40 PM

Ah, great football rivalries...

How about El Clįsico, the two annual matches between Real Madrid and Barcelona? More than a football match, it represents the deep political and cultural divide between the Castile region of Madrid and the fiercely independent Catalonia region of Barcelona. Real Madrid; conservative, centralist, the establishment club. Barcelona; liberal, independent, flamboyant. For Catalans, Real Madrid symbolized Franco's dictatorship, and the match was seen as a venue to vent their resentment of Franco's oppression of Catalonia. The hostility still lingers 30 years after Franco's death, and makes for one of the most passionate rivalries in any sports.

Or how about the granddaddy of them all? Old Firm, the rivalry between Scottish mainstays Rangers and Celtic, both based in Glasgow. The first match was played way back in 1888, and has since been perhaps the most heated rivalry in football, infused with religious (catholic vs. protestant) and political (loyalist vs. republican) disputes.

On a more general note, I think a rivalry needs to be fueled by some kind of political, cultural, religious or socio-economic divide between the followers of each team for it to be considered a truly great rivalry.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:45 PM

WTF people. stop this north-south bigten-sec [censored]. start another thread or something.

Lets keep this on topic. Michigan-OSU or other great rivalries.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, great football rivalries...

How about El Clįsico, the two annual matches between Real Madrid and Barcelona? More than a football match, it represents the deep political and cultural divide between the Castile region of Madrid and the fiercely independent Catalonia region of Barcelona. Real Madrid; conservative, centralist, the establishment club. Barcelona; liberal, independent, flamboyant. For Catalans, Real Madrid symbolized Franco's dictatorship, and the match was seen as a venue to vent their resentment of Franco's oppression of Catalonia. The hostility still lingers 30 years after Franco's death, and makes for one of the most passionate rivalries in any sports.

Or how about the granddaddy of them all? Old Firm, the rivalry between Scottish mainstays Rangers and Celtic, both based in Glasgow. The first match was played way back in 1888, and has since been perhaps the most heated rivalry in football, infused with religious (catholic vs. protestant) and political (loyalist vs. republican) disputes.

On a more general note, I think a rivalry needs to be fueled by some kind of political, cultural, religious or socio-economic divide between the followers of each team for it to be considered a truly great rivalry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet the Israeli Palestinian soccer matches are a downright hoot.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:51 PM

i knew this would turn into a SEC v. all others debate.