9 7 21.21%
10 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: The Rivalry

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the hijacks demonstrate why us non-Boston/NY people hate Boston/NY people. There are only 17,000 threads devoted to Boston and NY sports in some capacity; this one isn't, but I guess they can't stand a non-NY/Boston thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea man, because a thread entitled "The Rivalry" shouldn't generate discussion as to what the best rivalry is, aside from the one suggested in the OP. Right...

IMO college football rivalries are way overhyped. Navy fans rushed the field after giving the Irish their 8th loss on the season. Sweet. Army-Navy routinely suck yet they put that trash on NBC? No thanks. UM and OSU are power college football programs, but to me that's just another regular season game, unless they meet in the NC game. I don't mind UM, but OSU fans are beyond annoying, especially considering it ISNT EVEN A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM. For some reason, I object to claiming an amateur athletic competition as being "The Rivalry".

[/ QUOTE ]
Who cares if it's a professional team? At least most fans of college sports have a more vested reason for rooting for their team than that's the city they're from. People root for Michigan or tOSU or North Dakota State, whatever, because they went to school there. They were part of that community. As a student at one of these schools, you are a Wolverine, a Buckey, a Bison, a Wildcat. They are representatives of you and your community. They're not hired mercenaries like the Red Sox or the Dodgers, the Cowboys, etc. All you've got going for you if you're a Boston fan is either that their stadium is in your city or maybe you just hopped on the bandwagon.