Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 04:17 AM

Default Re: November \"I FORGOT MY MANTRA\" Low Content chit-chat thread

[ QUOTE ]
But one day, I picture myself being able to take long rides in a beautiful, low-traffic countryside.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in the beautiful countryside of the Arkansas Ozarks. Lived for a few years in the North Georgia Appalachian foothills.

Narrow roads with no shoulder, lots of blind curves and hilltops. What traffic you get is often menacing rednecks. You really take your life in your hands.

Small sample size I know, but riding in the countryside can be more dangerous in its way than navigating Montana Ave. trying to avoid renegade Lexus's(?). Our paved trail system here along the American River in NorCal is pretty good though. I ride now more than I ever did before, including bike commuting.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I forgot that I'd lost the install of the MPI module that's necessary for me to compile the code in parallel mode, so I'm compiling that now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I nominate this for 'Geekiest lounge sentence - 2007' [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Would you get that thing compiled in parallel mode already? It's getting late.

Also, I would recommend eating a big piece of poppy seed cake with your cup of coffee. Yummo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just don't take a drug test after ...
Old 11-16-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of the more interesting excuses I've heard for putting on weight:

[ QUOTE ]
Women are becoming fatter - maybe there is a deep-rooted reason for this. Too many rapists out there, illegal criminals let out of prison, rape law against women in favour of men, one of the reasons why I put on weight, for protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thre...20071116001141

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Blarg is hooked on the BBC

[/ QUOTE ]

Have been for years. I love Brit documentaries and news stuff. Brit stuff can be crap too, but I often feel kind of confused and distressed that the quality level I surmise Brits take as a matter of course is extraordinary compared to the woeful stuff we Americans feed ourselves.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:25 AM

Growing up in Hawaii and especially Guam, I rode for hours and hours, feeling safe from everything except racist attacks. Drivers acted as if they were actually responsible for their own actions, as people used to in general. I think our culture has lost that almost entirely. There is no internal reference point anymore; it's more about whether you get caught. Turning and turning in the widening gyre, the falcon changing his CD or putting on her make-up in the rear-view mirror cannot see the bicycler. The ceremony of innocence is caromed into a ditch.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the more interesting excuses I've heard for putting on weight:

[ QUOTE ]
Women are becoming fatter - maybe there is a deep-rooted reason for this. Too many rapists out there, illegal criminals let out of prison, rape law against women in favour of men, one of the reasons why I put on weight, for protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thre...20071116001141

[/ QUOTE ]

"I'm fat because I don't want to get raped!!!"

Wow...I'm speechless.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"I'm fat because I don't want to get raped!!!"

Wow...I'm speechless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. That's a new one. I never even considered that, putting on weight so I wouldn't get raped. That quote kind of makes women look stupid.

Has anyone noticed that Blarg is a little obsessed with physical appearance? Hm, maybe all men share his feelings and he's just brave enough to say it out loud. Blarg, why does it offend you so if women are a little over weight? I couldn't care less myself if men are a few pounds over weight. What's it to me? Does it just gross you out? If so I would caution you to never ever go to Cincinnati's Beach water park. You would not believe the number of obese women who strut around in a swimming suit there. Ridiculous. They have no shame.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...never ever go to Cincinnati's Beach water park. You would not believe the number of obese women who strut around in a swimming suit there. Ridiculous. They have no shame.

[/ QUOTE ]

no pics plz.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:13 AM

lol. why would I do that to you? It's gross.

In fact, it sort of ties in with the movie I watched last night, Idiocracy. You see in the future the world gets dumber and dumber because the bright young professionals stop having babies and the dumb uneducated women (like those humongous fat moms at the Beach waterpark) continue to have litters, thus populating the world with fat little idiots. Just wait, it will happen.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:29 AM

that's really not how things work. educated people aren't necessarily more intelligent than uneducated people, unless they got their education because they got a scholarship or something. Some 'educated' people are complete idiots, frankly.

Look at it this way - people that don't want to have kids because of their career are doing the gene pool a favour by weeding out those who have less empathy with others, are materialistic (and almost by definition concerned with 'things' rather than people) and self-centred.

That's got to improve the gene pool, right?

This is about as false as the idiocracy argument, but you see my point?
Old 11-16-2007, 09:39 AM

hm, i see your point. And actually I agree with you that educated people aren't necessarily more intelligent than their uneducated counterparts. Believe me I have a number of friends on both sides and some of my uneducated friends are sharp as a tack. That's why I hang out with them. But did you ever see the movie? Somehow the dumbest genes get propagated and the results are quite funny.
Closed Thread