Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Super System vs. Poker after Dark

Texas Dolly is a frequent player on the show Poker after Dark. For anyone who has seen the show, would you agree Doyle tends to play quite differently then what he espouses in Super Systems? Whatever happened to “…whenever I take down a pot, I am in the next pot with ATCs” (I think I am paraphrasing here, but you get the jist). Or, “Aggressive poker is winning poker.” I’ve seen him get bullied out of many a pot where he was the clear favorite.

I mean no disrespect to one of the best poker player in the world. Furthermore, I understand there are some factors that are changed here. First, the show is a tournament, with a winner take all format, as opposed to a cash game. Second, it is a show, so the players are trying harder than usual to promote themselves, rather than simply playing cards. Third, the players are all pros. Lastly, there seems to be a lot of prop betting between the players, which might influence an early all-in decision even if you feel you are ahead.

I ask the question, because I try to follow an aggressive style, but it makes you wonder when the teacher seems to not follow his own teachings.

Thoughts?
Old 10-16-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Super System vs. Poker after Dark

I think you are doing yourself a great dis-service if you read a book and take it's word as gospel, even a book as reputable as SS. For one, Doyle, in SS2, admittedly gives much of the same advice that he did in SS1, the advice that I applied best to a time in poker where everyone played like a complete nit and for the most part had no idea what they were doing. A top pro such as Doyle can play ATC profitably not only after a win but on any hand against weak competition. This is certainly not the case on PAD. I believe that Doyle's underlying foundation for his game is still brute aggression and that you should definitely tend to the aggressive side in your game, but forgive him when he doesn't try to simply run over the best players in the world.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:40 PM

Also keep in mind that SS offers cash game advice and PAD is a winner-take-all tournament format.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also keep in mind that SS offers cash game advice and PAD is a winner-take-all tournament format.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I did, hence putting it in the original message, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I did, hence putting it in the original message, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. Most of the time other people aren't important enough to me for me to pay attention to what they say or write.

You were quoting me this time, so I read all of what you had to say.

This post is starting to not be about me anymore, so I'm losing interest again...
Old 10-17-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Texas Dolly is a frequent player on the show Poker after Dark. For anyone who has seen the show, would you agree Doyle tends to play quite differently then what he espouses in Super Systems? Whatever happened to “…whenever I take down a pot, I am in the next pot with ATCs” (I think I am paraphrasing here, but you get the jist). Or, “Aggressive poker is winning poker.” I’ve seen him get bullied out of many a pot where he was the clear favorite.

I mean no disrespect to one of the best poker player in the world. Furthermore, I understand there are some factors that are changed here. First, the show is a tournament, with a winner take all format, as opposed to a cash game. Second, it is a show, so the players are trying harder than usual to promote themselves, rather than simply playing cards. Third, the players are all pros. Lastly, there seems to be a lot of prop betting between the players, which might influence an early all-in decision even if you feel you are ahead.

I ask the question, because I try to follow an aggressive style, but it makes you wonder when the teacher seems to not follow his own teachings.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doyle says in SS2

[ QUOTE ]
For you, this advice will be as profitable today as when I first wrote it. For me? Well, I've had to adjust my game. Most of my opponents have read this chapter in the original Super/System and if I played that way, I'd be too predictable.

[/ QUOTE ]

pp 529.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:13 AM

The deeper you play the better SS works.
In the case of PAD (besides being a WTA SnG) the stacks are not big enough to justify playing like SS says.
However, the main message in SS is one that should be used in any form of poker and that is to be agressive
Old 10-18-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry. Most of the time other people aren't important enough to me for me to pay attention to what they say or write.

You were quoting me this time, so I read all of what you had to say.

This post is starting to not be about me anymore, so I'm losing interest again...

[/ QUOTE ]

This cracked me up. As a bonus whoever the original poster was will read this. I forgot his name while writing this post though.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:44 PM

SS was written for cash games. Don't be obtuse.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:03 AM

Ok fair enough I see where you acknowledged that. You however understate its imprtance in the difference in play. It makes all the difference.