Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Ask DrewDevil your legal questions

[ QUOTE ]

The only way I can imagine this happening is if he was required to report it and failed to do so. There's no way he'd be denied admission just because of an arrest 10 years ago, so there has to be more to this story.

[/ QUOTE ]
There was a big stink in AZ over an old arrest. But it also involved a conviction, so it was more serious.

Guy was convicted of first degree murder. He became reformed in prison and got accepted in law school. He graduated and took the bar. He passed the exam portion of the bar admission process. But the state bar has continually refused to have him pass the character and fitness portion. He sued, and lost.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...07wells07.html
Old 10-10-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

but I am "of counsel" with a 12-man firm

[/ QUOTE ]

This represents something of a brag, IMO. (At my firm at least, it seems like the "of counsel" have the best combo of bank and quality of life. The associates such as myself of course have neither, while the partners are all hour-billing worknits...)

[/ QUOTE ]

In some firms, I'm sure that would be true, but the partners at my firm have the best set up. Life pretty much sucks at BigLaw for everyone though.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Drew,

Some time ago I believe you said that you were doing most of this legal work on the side to take up your other interests in media.

I worked for the patent office for a brief time, and decided that going into IP law / being a lawyer in general would be terribly boring and I'd hate my life.

Please reassure me that I made the right decision in not going to law school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Practicing law isn't very much fun and unless you've always wanted to do it, you shouldn't go to law school.

I got out for a while and had a lot more fun doing media---but after a while it didn't pay the bills. I would never go back to being an associate at a big time law firm though, that is the worst possible life. Ech.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:11 PM

This question was PM'd to me by a poster who wishes to remain anonymous:

[ QUOTE ]
Ok ex wife gets X dollars child support. Current wife talks about divorce from time to time. I've looked up a calculator of sorts how much I would pay wife B based on my salary, overnight vistations, and how much I pay wife A child support.

Follow so far?

Ok if the calculator says I pay wife B X dollars based on all those things and Wife A goes to the courts for more money will they lower wife B's child support? My first instincts would be no they wouldn't but if they base wife B's child support partially on what I pay wife A then maybe it should.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is impossible to answer without knowing how your state handles child support issues. Generally speaking, it's really really hard to get child support reduced once it's been set, and it tends to ratchet up, not down. However, if child support is tied to your income and the law says you can't be compelled to pay more than ___% of your net income, then the court would have to make an equitable division, unless you, wife A and wife B all were able to agree on how to split it up.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:15 PM

While my wife and I were arguing one day she pinched my nipple hard as heck, same with my scrotum, then slapped me 2x pretty hard. I never toutched her back. I thought about calling the police but I figured she'd make something up and somehow I'd end up in jail (I've seen Cops too much I guess).

So what I did was call a couple friends on the phone and put it on speaker and asked her why she slapped me etc. then I asked her if I ever toutched her and she admitted that I didn't.

If we ever ended up in divorce court would my witnesses stand up for anything? Should I have called the cops and what would their options have been?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:19 PM

would it be considered sexual harassment if you were to stand in your front yard naked doing jumping jacks?

hypothetically imo
Old 10-10-2007, 04:21 PM

While my wife and I were arguing one day she pinched my nipple hard as heck, same with my scrotum,

my g/f does this for me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2007, 04:21 PM

Is owner's title insurance really worth the cost?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:31 PM

what are you thoughts on online wills created at nolo.com or similar sites? are the online ones more easily contested and problematic by nature?

btw, the "O" guy from office space is in allstate (or some other insurance company) commercials as a football fan and looks really different which you may have seen. when i finally recognized him my immediate thought was, "hey! that's DrewDevil."
Old 10-10-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While my wife and I were arguing one day she pinched my nipple hard as heck, same with my scrotum, then slapped me 2x pretty hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Count yourself lucky; I have to pay your wife to do this.