Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: 100NL ....why would he check the turn?

So on the turn we are up against AQ/QQ/99/22 or a pure bluff.

Where exactly are we making money from on the turn?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:30 PM

Ty all for the input.

The results do not clear up the hand one bit.

Villain shows QQ

Hero goes

Also...after reading replies, it seems like the only other way to play the hand that would not be spew would be bet/folding the turn, which I can see as a solid play.

I think my line is probably 2nd best...but who knows when opponent plays like that.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:12 PM

If you're going to call the river shove, why are you leading? Either b/f or c/c.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:19 PM

Man I got in too late here, and I hate seeing the results, because I was going to point out the unliklihood of the majority of the hands besides a set.

First of all, how many hands is 13/3/3 over... 10 hands, 100, 1000? Is he a rock, a regular, or just an unknown? If it's a legit sample size, think about villain's position, which is UTG+1. How many of you are playing AQ UTG+1 to a raise when you have a 13 vpip? Maybe AQh. Maybe.

Plenty of folks don't reraise QQ. On the flop when you were raised, you said your thoughts moved to 22/99...a set. But you also go on and say you can't just fold there. Why not 3-bet the flop on a drawy board? I'd be happy to play for stacks here.

Villain takes control of the hand, but shows weakness by checking the turn back, which confuses you. Rightly so.

However, superceding this is the enormous raise on the river. This is why we need to know more about villain. Who is this guy, is he capable of raising the river with less than close to the nuts, which is so rare at 100NL FR?

I don't think you played the hand too terribly, but I would definitely, definitely, fold the river.

A big lesson I think that a lot of people can learn from this hand is to understand how slim EP ranges are, especially versus UTG or UTG+1 raisers. Someone having 13 VPIP most likely is not going to have 13 VPIP UTG+1, it's probably closer to half that.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:29 AM

Villain played the hand well.

I noticed this line before (I also fell victim to it - just yesterday!) and more often than not you can extract by it, especially if you are taggish and your opponent might be observant. It is as if your opponents forget about the set possibility by the turn.